Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent all last week riding Tail of the Dragon and other roads in NC. I decided to make this video riding behind a group of Harleys passing each one, one by one.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
All I see is a guy passing people through blind corners on a double solid.

well done, Hondo.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
For all those bashing him, have you actually RODE the Dragon?

I haven't watched the video (net too slow in hotel), but I've done my share of passing Harleys - you virtually have to, since they are so ungodly slow they just ruin your run.

Pick your spots carefully and it's relatively safe

I have found after several trips there I have slowed down, and hardly pass anymore, but I also ride it on off days (we plan the trip to give more weekdays, and ride other roads on the weekend). You also learn to time your runs better to avoid as much traffic as you can.

and I was up there a couple weeks ago in a cage, and we helped one Duc that launched into a tree off a corner, and I was 2nd on the scene and tried CPR on a couple brothers that t-boned a S2000 that got sideways in a corner. Both guys were dead on impact. I do understand the risks (that was actually down on the road along the river in NC, not actually on the Dragon)

·
Registered
905 Posts
For all those bashing him, have you actually RODE the Dragon?

I haven't watched the video (net too slow in hotel), but I've done my share of passing Harleys - you virtually have to, since they are so ungodly slow they just ruin your run.

Pick your spots carefully and it's relatively safe
I've only made two trips there over the past month or so. I generally wait for them to wave me by or for them to pull off. I crossed the yellow line less in four days of riding than the OP crossed it in a few minutes.

What gets me is how often he was on the yellow or crossed it when he wasn't passing anyone. At the dragon you need to stay in your lane, peoples lives really are depending on it.

I passed the tow truck reeling in the naked Ducati you are talking about.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
What gets me is how often he was on the yellow or crossed it when he wasn't passing anyone. At the dragon you need to stay in your lane, peoples lives really are depending on it.

That I would have an issue with. Most of the corners are very blind, so yes, I'm very strict about the yellow unless I'm passing, and I nuke whoever I'm passing, it's over very quickly

That duc was funny, upside down, wedged in a tree, but the bike was perfect looking. Should have left it there as a work of art!

·
Registered
905 Posts
That I would have an issue with. Most of the corners are very blind, so yes, I'm very strict about the yellow unless I'm passing, and I nuke whoever I'm passing, it's over very quickly

That yellow duc was funny, upside down, wedged in a tree, but the bike was perfect looking. Should have left it there as a work of art!
I did not see the yellow one. I did see the guy riding the naked yellow Ducati though. That guy could ride!!! Well, up until the tree part.

This is the one I saw.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've only made two trips there over the past month or so. I generally wait for them to wave me by or for them to pull off. I crossed the yellow line less in four days of riding than the OP crossed it in a few minutes.

Please. I never once crossed it except when passing. I might have gotten close to hit an apex, but the only times I even got close were when I could see ahead.

And that is how you have to get around Harleys down there. Most cars pull over in the designated pull-offs, but the Harleys don't. I'm not going to ride that road at Harley speed. It may not be clear on the video, but I could see just fine each time I passed.

Seriously, if anyone thinks my run is crazy, you've either never been down there or don't know how to ride that road. I've been there so many times I know most of the locals and ride with them. This is how it's ridden, and where I passed is where people that know the road make passes. That's how I learned the road, by riding behind the locals and learning their lines.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Please. I never once crossed it except when passing. I might have gotten close to hit an apex, but the only times I even got close were when I could see ahead.

And that is how you have to get around Harleys down there. Most cars pull over in the designated pull-offs, but the Harleys don't. I'm not going to ride that road at Harley speed. It may not be clear on the video, but I could see just fine each time I passed.

Seriously, if anyone thinks my run is crazy, you've either never been down there or don't know how to ride that road. I've been there so many times I know most of the locals and ride with them. This is how it's ridden, and where I passed is where people that know the road make passes. That's how I learned the road, by riding behind the locals and learning their lines.
I'm sure you know best, you always do.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lao

Of all the hundreds of times I've ridden it, I've never had a Harley wave me by, no matter how long I sat behind him.

So what you really mean to say is you ride that road at Harley speed, which, honestly I'm not at all surprised.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Times you hit or crossed the yellow like. 15 times in 8 minutes. Yeah, you are the master dragon slayer!!!

0:12
0:24
0:30
1:35
2:25
2:40
2:52
3:30
3:53
4:15
4:52
5:10
5:25
7:00
7:20

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Times you hit or crossed the yellow like. 15 times in 8 minutes. Yeah, you are the master dragon slayer!!!

Good job there Sherlock.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here you go, here's my G rated run of the Dragon from a couple of years ago. No crossing the double yellow line, not even once. But I'm sure you will watch the whole thing and tell me the exact second if I ever did come close. :lao

·
Registered
905 Posts

Of all the hundreds of times I've ridden it, I've never had a Harley wave me by, no matter how long I sat behind him.

So what you really mean to say is you ride that road at Harley speed, which, honestly I'm not at all surprised.
Yep, I ride at Harley pace.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In the first minute that I watch of your video, I saw you get awfully close to the center line many times.

What gets me is how often you were on the yellow or crossed it when you weren't passing anyone. At the dragon you need to stay in your lane, peoples lives really are depending on it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In the first minute that I watch of your video, I saw you get awfully close to the center line many times.

What gets me is how often you were on the yellow or crossed it when you weren't passing anyone. At the dragon you need to stay in your lane, peoples lives really are depending on it.
You really are delusional.

·
Banned
4,497 Posts
DC Ninja,

Thanks for posting the video, I would love to ride the Dragon someday.

But.....as somebody who recently saw a bad m/c accident, I ask you to please ride safely.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts