Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
i charge my battery with a 1amp optimate charger,anymore amps could risk buckleing the plates inside your battery.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some bike batteries can handle a 10 amp charge. My battery has the charging apmerage and times on the battery. it says .9 amp for 5-10 hrs. or 10 amp for 1hr. I bought a 1 amp charger for 20 bucks at shucks. If your battery doesn't say it can handle a 10 amp load just use a trickle charger. trying to charge it too fast can cause a a fire or explosion and can destroy your battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the past I have always used a 2 amp trickle charge and it has worked great, just be carefully and make sure you know what you are doing. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a Vector Smart Charger. It has 10 and 2 amp settings and senses what the battery can handle. On the smaller batteries I set it on the 2 amp setting. On the larger bike batteries, like in my Yamaha FJ600, I use the 10 amp setting and the charger usually starts off with about 4 amps, tapering off to 0.1 amps near full charge. I would like my next charger to have a 4 amp setting.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Walmart sells a battery tender for motorcycles for 18 dollars.

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
I love my Battery Tender. I can "set it and forget it".

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
As above, some batteries can handle it. But the lower the charger's peak amperage, the safer it'll be, with the 2-amp-and-below range being generally safe for all motorcycle batteries.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Walmart sells a battery tender for motorcycles for 18 dollars.
If that's the black and decker one, don't buy it. I bought one, used it once or twice, then ~6 months later tried to use it again and it was fried. It would keep clicking back and forth detween charge and float, but at a machine-gun rate! I searched the net and found alot of people with the same issue, and they all said it worked fin for a month or two, then did what mione did.

I wouldn't buy anything other than Battery Tender brand. $30, I have 3 of them and use them constantly for all kinds of batterys!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts