Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silly I know.. but I cant find any info on how to remove the housing to get to the headlamps.

Link to an online manual or suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
If you just want to replace the actual bulb, look underneath the nose cap and you will see a plastic cover - you need to remove it. I believe it has two clips that look like screws. You may need to twist them to remove (never had to do it). Once you have that off, you will have easy access to the bulb.

Remove the plug, undo the clip holding the bulb in (may need needlenose pliers, I did on my old EX500), take out the bulb. If there is a dust cover (big rubber piece) just pull it off. Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure not to touch the new bulb itself - either wear clean gloves or handle it by the base, not the glass. The grease from human fingertips can damage it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gave up and went to my Honda place. The guy there showed me a couple of photos in a service manual and explained everything well. He recommended that I stand in front of the bike facing it and reach in behind the headlamp assembly with both hands, one on either side. I had to turn the handlebars to the right angle to fit both hands in. First I unplugged the light (it took quite a bit of force and wiggling to get it loose). Then I removed the soft rubber sleeve from around the back of the bulb. Then I undid the spring clip assembly holding the bulb in. It fastened on the right side of the bulb (my left as I was facing the bike from the front). Then I wriggled the old bulb out. Everything so far I did without being able to see what I was doing, just from remembering the picture he had shown me.

I took the old bulb out (without touching the glass) and wriggled it back into place. The bulb is 3 pronged. The middle prong has to be on top. At this point I had to see what I was doing to get the clip back over the back of the bulb. The reason I couldn't get it fastened was because the bulb wasn't in just right but I couldn't see this from up high. BTW, make sure you have plenty of light for this. It's hard to see all the nooks and crannies, otherwise. Full daylight works best. I removed the little plastic wind plate underneath the nose (right above the front tire). It has two plastic hand fasteners. I had to take this off so I could reach my right hand up underneath to reach the bulb. I then sat down on my garage floor near the front of the bike on the left side. I could see that I hadn't gotten the bulb exactly where it needed to go. I had to wiggle it around until it fit snugly into its proper place. Then I could see how the spring clip worked. I pulled it over the back of the bulb and pushed it around until it clipped back into place. Then I put the rubber sleeve back over the bulb so the three prongs showed through the hole in the middle of the sleeve. Then I plugged the plug back onto the back of the bulb and put the wind sleeve back on.

The guy said it would take five minutes but that would have been with him doing it instead of me. It took me more than five minutes just to wiggle the plug off the back of the bulb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts