Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 800+ miles on my bike now and I am going to change the oil. But first I have a few questions for all of you.

1. Will changing the oil myself void my warrenty?
2. What else should I do for my first oil change other than check for loose stuff and things?
3. Should I switch to synthetic?
4. Overall, how tough of a job is it?
5. Anyone have any helpfull tips or tricks?

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Jared said:
I have 800+ miles on my bike now and I am going to change the oil. But first I have a few questions for all of you.

1. Will changing the oil myself void my warrenty?
2. What else should I do for my first oil change other than check for loose stuff and things?
3. Should I switch to synthetic?
4. Overall, how tough of a job is it?
5. Anyone have any helpfull tips or tricks?

Thanks everyone.
Firstly, did you take your bike in to a shop for the 600 mile service, or do it yourself, or do anything at all? If you took it to a shop, they should have changed the oil and filter at that time, as well as inspecting and adjusting. For ~100$, It seemed worth it to me to let someone else do it.

As for your questions regarding changing the oil:
1. No, changing it yourself will not void your warranty
2. You should change the oil and filter, as there will likely be metal filings in it from the parts seating themselves. Checking for "loose stuff and things" (Chain lubed & proper tension? Tire pressure? Leaky shocks? Brake pads? Loose bolts? etc...) I'd recommend doing every time before you ride, or weekly at least.
3. You don't need synthetic, I wouldn't recommend it at all until the engine is good and broken in, and I myself will probably stick with standard because it works fine.
4. It's quite an easy job, simply remove drain plug (over an approved container, of course ;) once the flow slows to drips, take off the filter.
5. Oil changes being relatively straightforward, there are only a couple things to mind; make sure you don't overfill the oil, and pour some into the new filter and slime the gasket before installing.

[disclaimer]
I am by no means an expert, and only speak from my own experience.
[/disclaimer]

+2cents

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, No I didn't take it in at 600 miles thats why I wanted to get it done ASAP. As long as the dealer doesn't care if I do it I will do it myself. Thank you for your help.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
If you are worried about your warranty, you may want to keep reciepts for the items you purchase for the regularly scheduled maintainence, as well as denoting it in the owners manual or someother type of ledger. This way if you have a problem and the dealer claims it was due to negligent maintainence you will have documentation that everything was done according to their scheduled maintainece.

As for the oil, before you start, get the filter wrench, the cup shaped one that fits on top of the filter. Previous discussion suggests they are put on way too tight. And some have had problems removing them without undue mess.

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
FZ6 said:
...Previous discussion suggests they are put on way too tight. And some have had problems removing them without undue mess...
In addition, the drain plug seems to be VERY tight for everyone. Have a quality 17MM socket and breaker bar in hand to properly remove this before starting the job.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
The oil filter might be a pain in the cheeks to get off as well. If it is, just get a phillips screwdriver and punch it in the side of the filter and get it off that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Moldmaker said:
In addition, the drain plug seems to be VERY tight for everyone. Have a quality 17MM socket and breaker bar in hand to properly remove this before starting the job.
I think Yamaha employs trained gorillas to install the oil plug...

Mine was a bitch to get off. Needed a breaker bar and mini sledge to break it loose. :eek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also... BECAREFUL taking that drain bolt off. I did my first oil change and stripped out the threads on the pain. It seem to have been over torqued from the factory. Its an aluminum pan and the threads are very fragile. My dealer did end up warranting a new oil pan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The drain plug isn't reverse thread or anything like that is it? Also does anyone happen to know what filter it takes? Does it convert to vavoline or anything? I will be able to tell when I get it off but I was just wondering if any of you knew off the top of your head. Also are there any drawbacks to switching to synthetic? Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Moldmaker said:
As a follow-up to the above post:
A good quality 6-point socket is far less likely to cause you a rounded nut than a 12-point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jared said:
The drain plug isn't reverse thread or anything like that is it? Also does anyone happen to know what filter it takes? Does it convert to vavoline or anything? I will be able to tell when I get it off but I was just wondering if any of you knew off the top of your head. Also are there any drawbacks to switching to synthetic? Thanks
Nope, the bolt is normal thread...

As for the filter, I used the book at an autoparts store to find the part number. Since the FZ6 isn't in there, I got a filter for an 03' R6. Works just fine, same engine basically.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did it tonight. Wasn't bad at all. I just went and bought all yamaha stuff and kept the reciept just to be sure. Anyways as far as the install went, the drain plug wasn't on extremely tight. I mean it was on tight but i got it free with a wrench after I didnt get it on all the way the first time and it slipped off and stripped it a tiny bit! After that I hammered it on gently and it broke loose. The hardest part I thought was the oil filter. There was grease and shit all over under there and I couldn't get a grip whatsoever on it so I just poked a hole in it. Well that got it but it was still tight so i ended up having to poke like 3 more holes in it just to keep turning it till it was loose enough for my hand. After that I cleaned all that stuff up and put it all back together. Started it up and I noticed the oil light stayed on. So I shut it off an turned it back on and off it went so maybe u have to do that or I dont know. Anyway I didn't think it was too bad.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Jared said:
Started it up and I noticed the oil light stayed on. So I shut it off an turned it back on and off it went so maybe u have to do that or I dont know.
It's good practice to about half fill the filter before you screw it on. That way it has a chance to presoak the element, and there is less time for the pump to get the oil circulating to the important stuff.

Congratulations, you will save yourself a boat load of money doing it yourself. Also aftermarket filters are fine, and ALOT cheaper as long as they are of good quality. I prefer Wix. Although alot of others like K&N which I find harder to locate locally.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jared said:
what do u think of fram? I like the idea of the plug in the end for a rachet to fit in.
I am using the Frams, as I have in all of my previous bikes, and have had no problems with them at all.

The bike has the new Mobil 1 motorcycle synthetic oil and it will be changed every 3000 miles or so.

Currently have 4400 miles and went synthetic around 3500.

Skippy

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
FZ6 said:
It's good practice to about half fill the filter before you screw it on. That way it has a chance to presoak the element, and there is less time for the pump to get the oil circulating to the important stuff.

Congratulations, you will save yourself a boat load of money doing it yourself. Also aftermarket filters are fine, and ALOT cheaper as long as they are of good quality. I prefer Wix. Although alot of others like K&N which I find harder to locate locally.
How do you avoid dumping the oil all over the place while you screw in the filter?

(I know, I know...this was posted last year...gotta love the search function)

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
04Fizzer said:
How do you avoid dumping the oil all over the place while you screw in the filter?

(I know, I know...this was posted last year...gotta love the search function)

Only fill it half way, this leaves room in the filter to turn it sideways without any oil running out.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The FZ6 is a perfect bike to do this regular maintenece on. The beauty of no fairing to take off and the center stand makes life easy for oil changes. Altho, when I changed my oil the first time I used the side stand to make sure I got all the drip out....dunno if this can happen with the bike on the center stand.

Also, make sure when you change the oil yourself, you run the engine a little before you drain it so it is loose and you get all the bad stuff out. I've also heard if it's hot, it makes it easier cause the heat thins the oil.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
The FZ6 is a perfect bike to do this regular maintenece on. The beauty of no fairing to take off and the center stand makes life easy for oil changes. Altho, when I changed my oil the first time I used the side stand to make sure I got all the drip out....dunno if this can happen with the bike on the center stand.

Also, make sure when you change the oil yourself, you run the engine a little before you drain it so it is loose and you get all the bad stuff out. I've also heard if it's hot, it makes it easier cause the heat thins the oil.
Man I HATE hot oil.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
04Fizzer said:
Man I HATE hot oil.

come on man, if you can stand machining chemicals and cleaners then hot oil should be cake. ha ha. :eek:nfloor

1 - 20 of 48 Posts