Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my front sprocket down to a AFAM 15t. Question was about the metal in front of the bolt. I'm not sure what it is but it's in the way of the bolt. Would I be able to just simply unbolt it from the engine or do I have to purge anything out? Also I've been reading up on the install. Bikes in neutral and do I have to use an air tool or would a simple lug wrench work? Also, I'm in Germany where we are allowed to go about as fast as we want. I want to be able to lift the front end up a little easier but keep a high top speed. What would you all recommend. Should I just keep the 15t up front or go up 2 as well in the rear. I know it's a pretty long Q and A but I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
When I changed my sprockets I left the bike in 1st gear.....

Second, you have a predicamnet there with changing the gearing. You want to bring the front of the 7R up, but still have top speed. Not going to happen....

I would just change down (-1) the front sprocket if you want to do both. With this change you should still be able to do 145-150mph. Any more than that and you be scrubbing off top speed. The 7r's top speed is only 158 to begin with.

Stone

·
Registered
220 Posts
Stonecoldchavez said:
When I changed my sprockets I left the bike in 1st gear.....

Second, you have a predicamnet there with changing the gearing. You want to bring the front of the 7R up, but still have top speed. Not going to happen....

I would just change down (-1) the front sprocket if you want to do both. With this change you should still be able to do 145-150mph. Any more than that and you be scrubbing off top speed. The 7r's top speed is only 158 to begin with.

Stone
actually thats not true. I have had my 7r up to 156mph in 6th gear with throttle left and still pulling hard. i feel my bike would hit 165+mph im even thinking close to 170mph before topping out, maybe more. the only reason i didn't go faster is due to traffic, i let off the throttle at exactly 156mph. this is with -1 in front.

as for the metal thing you are seeing in front of the nut, thats the "CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER" which has to be removed. its quite easy, but you will have to bleed the clutch master and slave cylinder after every thing is back together. Have fun with that nut holding on the front sprocket. i think its torqued to 94 foot pounds or some shit. it takes a damn impact wrench to get it off...good luck. if you have any questions about taking apart and putting together the clutch slave cylinder let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I just read a post from another strictly 7R forum. The post said that the little piece from the master clutch cylinder that sticks over the bolt can be cut off to make it easier changing the sprockets. Anyone ever heard or done this. It looks like it serves no purpose unless you are going to keep the sprocket cover off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, AmishMaruader. Did you notice a big jump in acceleration just by changing the front sprocket. Also, is it easier for you to bring it up in 1st and 2nd or do you still have to clutch it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
never heard of anyone cutting it off, but i bet you could. doesn't do much. the only thing i can think of is that its there to keep the sprocket from falling off incase the nut comes loose. and its the Slave Cylinder not the master cylinder.

yes you will feel a difference by dropping one tooth. the front end comes up easy for me. i have never tried using the clutch to pull a wheelie, and i refuse to even try it. my method is to ride along around 25 to 30 mph, let off the throttle VERY quickly, (this causes the front of the bike to dive a bit) then when the front end starts to go back up to normal ride height i really twist the throttle HARD, and the front end comes right up. no clutch needed, but it doesn't come up in second, at least i never really tried. if you re gear it enough im sure its possible but you would lose too much top end. and the bike would be screaming all the time even when you weren't going that fast. not worth it to me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Im about to do -1+2. Do you think thats too much? I want to be able to pop up the front like my friends CBR but dive into corners like my ZX7. I can clutch it up right now but dont wish to continue to do so. Any suggestions or comments. By the way I got a 95.

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Amish Marauder said:
actually thats not true. I have had my 7r up to 156mph in 6th gear with throttle left and still pulling hard. i feel my bike would hit 165+mph im even thinking close to 170mph before topping out, maybe more. the only reason i didn't go faster is due to traffic, i let off the throttle at exactly 156mph. this is with -1 in front.

as for the metal thing you are seeing in front of the nut, thats the "CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER" which has to be removed. its quite easy, but you will have to bleed the clutch master and slave cylinder after every thing is back together. Have fun with that nut holding on the front sprocket. i think its torqued to 94 foot pounds or some shit. it takes a damn impact wrench to get it off...good luck. if you have any questions about taking apart and putting together the clutch slave cylinder let me know.

Amish Marauder,

Not to argue.....but the top speed numbers I got were from Sport Rider magazine. You may think you could go faster....but I don't think the bike will do 165 or 170 mph. IMHO. Plus speedometers get 2-5% inaccurate the faster you go.

Stone

·
Registered
220 Posts
each bike is different. and magazines arent always the most accurate. plus the different years of the 7R brought along different power in some of them, and like i first stated, each bike is different. you can pull off two bikes right from the factory identicle in every way and one could be producing a bit more hp than the other. this sort of thing happens all the time, not to mention when they test the bikes many other things come into play, humidity, elavation, temp., wind....etc etc...

i have no doubt in my mind that my bike can hit 160+ on the gauge. now if the speedo isn't accurate then so be it, but i would think subtracting maybe 5mph off the needle would give a good indication of speed? ill tell you what, my bike isn't exactly stock but its close to it, and when i take my bike back out to the flats ill see exactly how fast i can get her up to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, thanks for all the input. I think I'll be cutting it off, that way I won't have to deal with anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts