Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm gonna be changing the forks on a friends katana this weekend. i havent really done much work on bikes so i thought i'd ask for some help, tips, tricks, advice or whatever. first off whats the best way to support the bike with the front end off (besides a motorcycle jack). is there anything special i need to know to make the job easier or is it pretty straight foward? thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the bike has a center stand use that and a car jack. Jack up the bike under the header and the front will be off the ground.

This is what I did when I had to replace my fork on my belate 1987 CBR600. I used tie down straps, hooked that up to the frame and hook the other end to the fire exscape. Then I lifted it up in the air. Yeah, Yeah, I know GHETTO, but it worked.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Best tool for fork changes is a front stand that lifts the front by the steering head.

Any way you can get the front wheel off the ground and keep the bike stable with the forks off will work. Centerstand with rear weighted down works. Center lift stand works too provided you tie the bike down.

And invest in the proper tools like a torque wrench and know the torque values for all the bolts you'll be removing. You can't play this by ear. From there, the fork change is fairly straightforward.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Ratcheting tie downs, and suspend it from the rafters in a garage...

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Punkwood2k said:
Ratcheting tie downs, and suspend it from the rafters in a garage...
This is what I did when I rebuilt the forks on my EX.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
linuxbikr said:
Best tool for fork changes is a front stand that lifts the front by the steering head.

Any way you can get the front wheel off the ground and keep the bike stable with the forks off will work. Centerstand with rear weighted down works. Center lift stand works too provided you tie the bike down.

And invest in the proper tools like a torque wrench and know the torque values for all the bolts you'll be removing. You can't play this by ear. From there, the fork change is fairly straightforward.

Brilliant idea especially if the triple tree has to come off...... :confused: Best bet is hang it from some solid object. I use a cable come along and a 4x16 beam that is the center support of my garage roof. Held up that way there is no fear of it slipping off the jack or other mickey mouse stand jury rigged under it. If you ever had a half dissasembled bike come off a makeshift stand you know what Im talkin about.... it aint no fun :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts