Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a little over 5,000 miles on my sportbike and i changed out the original pads for ebc hh sintered.

i bought some 200 grit sandpaper to sand the rotors a bit but it didn't feel like they needed any attention.

after bleeding the lines, i ran it for a few miles, accelerating and hard braking and they seemed fine. a little bit of noise from the pads on the rotors as i applied the brakes, but nothing serious.

again, it only has 5,000 miles. is it okay to just replace the pads and don't touch the rotors?

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
They need to be sanded when you change pad compound.
The reason is to remove the old pads material for optimum performance of the new pads. And that's probably the cause if the noise.
Google rotor hone. Best tool for the job. Sandpaper will wear your ass out.

SS rotors can go a long time without needing replaced.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I switched from sintered to Kevlar/carbon (organic?) last October or so. I didn't try surface abrasion on the rotors. I'm very aware of just how tough Stainless steel is and didn't see the point. The only thing I have noticed is that in a certain light there is a faint pink shade to the rotor now. I'm very impressed with the organic brakes.
'couse I don't race so getting the final fraction of 1% of performance out doesn't mean anything to me.
I just check the rotors for thickness and warp. As long as they are in spec, I will leave them alone.

Reactions: bumblebee

·
Rider
101 Posts
I stared using EBC organic pads years ago when they were advertised as EBC Kevlar pads and they were very effective in reducing brake squeal on my old Hondas. Started using them on my GS500 bikes about 15 years ago and when we started annual trips to the Smoky Mtns to play 10 years ago I had my front rotor turn blue twice even fading out completely once on long fast twisty downhill runs. No problem with their HH pads and even Suzuki used HH pads as OEM for the last 10 years on the lowly GSs. Just saying, your mileage may vary. Doesn't matter much now since I got very old somewhere between 70 and 80. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rotors last a while depending on how abrasive the pads are, they usually last about 16-25k, and maybe even more. Rotor hone is a sweet little tool I discovered but scotch brite will do as well. Rotors are expensive, I was lucky to find a slightly used front wheel that came with rotors already on ebay, I paid about $60 for it lol.

Kevlar/Organic doesn't bite like Sintered.However, it's less abrasive and will be easier on your rotors. If your doing street riding and not track, kevlar is more than enough to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I stared using EBC organic pads years ago when they were advertised as EBC Kevlar pads and they were very effective in reducing brake squeal on my old Hondas. Started using them on my GS500 bikes about 15 years ago and when we started annual trips to the Smoky Mtns to play 10 years ago I had my front rotor turn blue twice even fading out completely once on long fast twisty downhill runs. No problem with their HH pads and even Suzuki used HH pads as OEM for the last 10 years on the lowly GSs. Just saying, your mileage may vary. Doesn't matter much now since I got very old somewhere between 70 and 80. LOL
So I got 8 years left? Thanks, that is good to know. My pads did not have a rating on them. The pads I took off were FF's I think. I know of no reason to use HH's on the street. Other then your buddy uses them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts