Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going on a road trip in June, which I can only assume will be life changing. I'm doing it in a car (I know, I know), but I'm gonna be bringing my motorcycle along.

I'm planning on making some pure riding stops along the way, and that's where I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand. I'm driving down to DC from Boston on a Friday. But after that my only goal is to make it to Nashville for a few days before I head home the next weekend.

Any roads you recommend riding while I'm down in this part of the country? PM me if you don't want them posted for the world to see.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Put off the Nashville portion for this trip, and instead head down to Road Atlanta for a trackday. Flat out thru the back straights portion before heading downhill to be greeted by 10a is quite the life changing experience itself, so I've heard. :)

Hope you have an awesome time, man. Be safe!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Road trips in a car aren't life changing; they're just road trips. Ditch the car and do it on a bike.

Either way, make sure to do Deal's Gap and all the other great roads in the surrounding area.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put off the Nashville portion for this trip, and instead head down to Road Atlanta for a trackday. Flat out thru the back straights portion before heading downhill to be greeted by 10a is quite the life changing experience itself, so I've heard. :)

Hope you have an awesome time, man. Be safe!
That does sound awesome- can't skip Nash though...maybe I can figure out a way to do both.

Why do it in a car? That's just silly. Cars suck.
Was originally gonna do all bike, but changed my mind for a few reasons:

1) Length: Tryin to cram a lot of miles into a short amount of time. 8+ highway hours in a car is better than 8+ highway hours on a bike.

2) Cities: Most of my trip centers around major metropolitan areas: DC, NYC, maybe Philly. I can barely keep from getting run down by my fellow Bostonians. I'm sure learning my way around dc on a friday afternoon after a 9 hour ride won't be all that fun.

3) I'm a degenerate: Most of my time on this trip will be spent in the company of blackout drunks. This ties into #1. I can do a few hours on a bike hungover (it sucks), but I think 8 would kill me. I don't want to have to incorporate hangover days into my travel plans....Hey, at least I'm being honest with myself.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
3) I'm a degenerate: Most of my time on this trip will be spent in the company of blackout drunks. This ties into #1. I can do a few hours on a bike hungover (it sucks), but I think 8 would kill me. I don't want to have to incorporate hangover days into my travel plans....Hey, at least I'm being honest with myself.
I did a 3 1/2 hour ride home after a drunk night in Vegas and 5 hours of sleep, and that was just stupid. I felt like shit the entire time and while I never had a problem with keeping focused on the road, I don't think I would have lasted too much longer by the time I did finally get home. Good call on the car for the longer legs of the trip.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I will be coming thru Nashville in June from South Dakota back to Tallahasse. What are the dates of your trip?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Took a ride to Skyline Drive in Virginia this past weekend, which runs the duration of Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Is that rt 18? Tried to follow it along google maps just now- doesnt seem to go near Asheville
No. It's the blue ridge parkway. From the end of skyline drive to roughly Cherokee, NC. 469 miles long. Just be careful about the speed. It is pretty low in some places.

Www.blueridgeparkway.org

And stop by deals gap with the bike since you will be in the area.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. It's the blue ridge parkway. From the end of skyline drive to roughly Cherokee, NC. 469 miles long. Just be careful about the speed. It is pretty low in some places.

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

And stop by deals gap with the bike since you will be in the area.

That looks pretty sick...Maybe I will drive straight to Ashville from DC, Park the truck & then rock out on the twisties for a day. Damn, the two vehicle thing is looking like it might end up being a pain.

Can you ride Deals at any skill level? Every video I see has dudes just humming and/or crashing. Doesn't seem to be much in between. :shrug

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
That looks pretty sick...Maybe I will drive straight to Ashville from DC, Park the truck & then rock out on the twisties for a day. Damn, the two vehicle thing is looking like it might end up being a pain.

Can you ride Deals at any skill level? Every video I see has dudes just humming and/or crashing. Doesn't seem to be much in between. :shrug
Yes you can. Most people there aren't racing and there will be cops on the weekends.

Honestly the best trip would be to do it on the bike only without trailering it, but I'm biased.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts