Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who says "You can't teach an old dog, new tricks"?
A fellow riding buddy and myself just changed our preferred modes of two-wheeled transport.
He ditched his Harley Davidson Softail for a Monster 1000 and I bailed my ElectraGlide for an FZ6.
Holy Crap! Now I truley understand the meaning of caveman!! :idea

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Being a former Harley owner, I'm sure you understand the need to "step away from the wallet". This site is very addicting, and once you start modding, there's no stopping it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
04Fizzer said:
Welcome to the club!

Being a former Harley owner, I'm sure you understand the need to "step away from the wallet". This site is very addicting, and once you start modding, there's no stopping it!
Mods have already started....fender eliminator, Puig windscreen and Progrip 700 grips.
Have a question for my next mod. I want to bail the hugger for just a chain guard. After searching the net for an FZ6 aftermarket chainguard, I noticed that the FZ1 runs just a chain guard. Will the stock FZ1 chainguard fit an FZ6?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
RobGoBLue said:
Mods have already started....fender eliminator, Puig windscreen and Progrip 700 grips.
Have a question for my next mod. I want to bail the hugger for just a chain guard. After searching the net for an FZ6 aftermarket chainguard, I noticed that the FZ1 runs just a chain guard. Will the stock FZ1 chainguard fit an FZ6?
I don't believe that option has been explored. Try it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Local Yamy dealer says it'll fit (Probably....), so I ordered it. Gonna cross my fingers and pick it up next week. If it works, I'll let you guys know. If not, well, ummmmm, I'll let you know too....
Aftermarket is $85, and is polished stainless (Yuck). Stock part is black and $45.36 out the door. Not bad.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying that too. Let us all know how it turns out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going to pick up the part Saturday. Part was only $15!!
Let's hope it fits!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Congrats! This has always been my viewpoint between Harleys and Jap bikes:

Harleys: For admiring
Japanese: For riding :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome to the club. The more you ride the more you'll understand why we all love this thing.. and at 1/3 the price of a Harley and triple the handling there isn't much not to love. But I still want a V-rod one day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He shoots....
He scores!!!!
The FZ1 chainguard to FZ6 mod is a success!!!!
Piece of cake.
All you need to do, is swap the right rear hugger bolt (long) for the left front hugger bolt (short) and add a 1/4" spacer (92 cents at Lowes) to the left front mounting point, and it works perfect.
Total cost....about 17 bucks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
RobGoBLue said:
He shoots....
He scores!!!!
The FZ1 chainguard to FZ6 mod is a success!!!!
Piece of cake.
All you need to do, is swap the right rear hugger bolt (long) for the left front hugger bolt (short) and add a 1/4" spacer (92 cents at Lowes) to the left front mounting point, and it works perfect.
Total cost....about 17 bucks!!!
Very cool, What year model FZ1 did you ask for the chain guard from. I don't know if any thing has changed on the FZ1 for a while but figured id ask.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cool, but.... what's wrong with the hugger? It does it's job -- mainly keeping dirt out of the shock. People with other bikes are falling all over themselves to get huggers put on. :shrug

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
Looks great!

I just rode through another Florida monsoon today... so still not convinced I want to loose my hugger. If I do though, that's the one I'll get. Good job! :dblthumb

Sarchi, is keeping dirt off the rear shock purely for keeping it clean? Or does the dirt make its way inside and contribute to wear on the shock???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's from an 05, but from what I can tell nothing has changed.
Yamaha part number 5LV-22311-00-00.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Sarchi said:
Cool, but.... what's wrong with the hugger? It does it's job -- mainly keeping dirt out of the shock. People with other bikes are falling all over themselves to get huggers put on. :shrug
What about a shock condom? They make them for all sorts of ATV's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Dirtskins.com makes all sorts of shock protectors.
Just need to determine which one that fits.
If I do any extended riding (Ummmm, touring), where the possiblity of rain is unavoidable, the hugger will most likely go back on. It only takes 5 minutes to switch.
But, in the meantime I'll bow to vanity and go with the cool look. :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts