Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 1500 miles on the FZ and I recently adjusted and lubed the chain, now I notice a slight whine when I coast. Anyone notice it also? The marks on the chain adjustment are aligned perfectly.

Robb

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Is it too tight? Yammy says 1.77-2.14" total free play up and down measuring from the chain gaurd.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Could be the lube you used too. Alot of chain lubes claim to reduce chain noise. I tightened my chain last week and noticed some noise coming from it but once I ran the bike hard, the chain loosened up/stretched whatever it may be and the noise was gone. Make sure, as posted in another forum, you check the chain free play when you are sitting on the bike! That makes a huge difference!

·
Registered
8 Posts
The adjustment marks on the FZ-6 suck, big time. Don't trust them. I use the string method to get a much better alignment, then just be sure to turn the adjusters exactly the same amount when adjusting slack.

Also, the specs indicate that chain should measure about 2" slack when on the centerstand.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
arnoha said:
The adjustment marks on the FZ-6 suck, big time. Don't trust them. I use the string method to get a much better alignment, then just be sure to turn the adjusters exactly the same amount when adjusting slack.

Also, the specs indicate that chain should measure about 2" slack when on the centerstand.
Whats the string method? I tightened the adjusters on each side the same about 1 full turn but after a long ride, the one on the right side was a hair loose so I had to tweak it a 1/4 turn to tighten it up against the washer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would like more info on the string method as well. I read a website that described it, but it still wasn't clear. I adjusted my chain slack, and I think I got the alignment a tad off. Bollocks.

-J

·
Registered
193 Posts
mine also whines while coasting, and it is worse after I added my 15 tooth sprocket, but the benifits of the sprocket far overway the noise.

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
How to align your wheels....

Go here and pick from the many pages that describe the procedure very well. After checking this on MY bike just after I bought it, I would say that the marks on the swingarm and adjusters are close enough for me, within .010, discounting parallax error.

BTW, if your adjuster nut came loose after riding, the axle nut was probably not tight enough (87 ft/lb) :eek: . When moving the axle to adjust the chain tension, leave it "snug" (a subjective term!) so it doesn't spring back as you move from one adjuster to the other.

I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
What did you use to clean the chain with?

It's as important as the wax that's used.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the posts. It seems to have gotten better with a less sticky lube that I tried. The first lube seemed very sticky.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
The lube needs to be sticky,that's what keeps it from filnging off.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Cavi said:
mine also whines while coasting, and it is worse after I added my 15 tooth sprocket, but the benifits of the sprocket far overway the noise.
You said in an earlier post that the new sprocket you added was different from the stock one you took off.
How was it different?
I think you mentioned something about a rubber spacer on the stock one??

Skippy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did re-adjust the chain, with me sitting on the bike and it was a little tight, no whine at all now!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts