Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I think this is a case of the chain being too loose and will probably go away when I tighten it later today anyway, but I figured I'd check.

The last day or two I notice a kind of smacking sound when upshifting or when chopping the throttle suddenly. I suspect that it's actually the closing of the throttle in the upshift that is causing it there too. Although it's hard to tell, I *think* it's coming from the lower-left side. I suspect the chain is too loose and is just smacking something.

Any ideas?

BTW, it's a 2001 F4i

·
Registered
966 Posts
I think your flux capacitor is loose and you need to fill up your blinker fluid:) yep it sounds like your chain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough, sound went away after I tightened the chain again last night. Also found out that the chain needs to be replaced now too (at the index marker in the red zone). Damn. Oh well.

Thanks.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
decius said:
Sure enough, sound went away after I tightened the chain again last night. Also found out that the chain needs to be replaced now too (at the index marker in the red zone). Damn. Oh well.

Thanks.
WTF my Kawa didnt come with a dummy light!

·
Registered
496 Posts
beowulf2k said:
WTF my Kawa didnt come with a dummy light!
My Suzuki comes fully equiped with an onboard computer sytem that tells me when I need an oil change or gas or anything else like that. It also detects my speed and velocity to determine how much nitrous must be fed into the fuel system to do wheelies at speeds in excess of 200mph. :lao

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
What ever happened to good old fashon knowing when to change your chain. Not knocking anyone but if you can not tell it needs replaced then you should not be on a bike because there is to much you are over looking and you are going to hurt your self.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
checking chain slack should be a regular thing, it's so easy to do it should be done every couple of weeks depending on how much you ride. losing a chain at speed could ruin your whole day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My chain is still in good shape as far as rust and stuff goes (has been very well cleaned and lubed it's whole life). It is time to replace it because of stretch however.

I'm not familiar with other bikes, but on mine (2001 F4i), next to the bolt to adjust the chain (only on the left-side though) is a little slider (green, white, red) and as you tighten or loosen the chain, an index line slides across it. Basically, when you put a new chain on and it's tightened to the right tension, it will be in the green zone. Throughout the life of your chain as you tighten it, the index line will slowly slide towards the red. This is what I was referring to. Maybe other sport bikes don't have this, I have no idea. Seems like a normal thing to have though....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts