Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tightened my chain some time last week and 'eye balled it' on the slack. I ran through about a tank of gas and had apprehensions about the slack. I got home last night and measured it and realized I was about 1/2" shy of where it should be (it was at 1"). I adjusted it and I'm good to go.

One observation: With the chain that tight, the vibrations were VERY noticable through the entire bike in the 5000-6000 range. It was really quite strange.

Random thought: The reviews of the FZ by the 'experts' :pisson says the vibrations are really bad. I wonder if whoever set the bike up for them didn't have enough slack in the chain and that's where the vibrations were coming from.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's possible, but they may have just gotten a bike that vibrates a lot. Mine vibrates a lot more than the average FZ6 (from what I've read, and from one test ride on another FZ6). If I wrote a review of my bike, I'd mention bad vibration, too.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fraggle1 said:
It's possible, but they may have just gotten a bike that vibrates a lot. Mine vibrates a lot more than the average FZ6 (from what I've read, and from one test ride on another FZ6). If I wrote a review of my bike, I'd mention bad vibration, too.
I would have written abotu the vibrations when I first got the bike, but the more I ride it, the less I notice it. I kind of like the vibration because when I hit 5000, I get a tickle, and I know where I am engine-wise instead of having to stare at the tach.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I tightened my chain some time last week and 'eye balled it' on the slack. I ran through about a tank of gas and had apprehensions about the slack. I got home last night and measured it and realized I was about 1/2" shy of where it should be (it was at 1"). I adjusted it and I'm good to go.

One observation: With the chain that tight, the vibrations were VERY noticable through the entire bike in the 5000-6000 range. It was really quite strange.

Random thought: The reviews of the FZ by the 'experts' :pisson says the vibrations are really bad. I wonder if whoever set the bike up for them didn't have enough slack in the chain and that's where the vibrations were coming from.
I think you just nailed the problem.

In my first 1000 km I had the typical vibration at 6000 rpm. Of course, the chain is believed to gradually stretch a bit during the breakin period. I am now at 4500 km, and the vibration has completely vanished. I measured my chain slack last weekend and noted it to have increased 1/4" since the original setup. So, I think the increased slack (now at 1,1/4") has solved the vibs.

I didn't put this all together in my mind until just now reading your thread.

You're the man!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I noticed the 5K vibes really lessened after the 600 mile service and disappear almost entirely after 1000 miles. I bet the chain was either too loose or tight and the 600 mile service sorted that out.

Sort of the same thing with my V-Strom - it had some minor vibes through the handlebar at all RPM's and after the 600 mile service, those vibes are now totally gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts