Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a clunking when taking off. I thought it might be the chain making noise because it was so loose. I adjusted the chain and now in addition to clunking, I have a rhythmic loping/grinding sound that I'm sure is the chain.

Now, I'm not sure if I have a stuck link or not, but when I roll the bike back and forth I get a clunking or grinding noise from the rear. So I'm wonderig if the wheel bearings could be bad, causing the chain to be misaligned and make noise.

I guess the only way to find out is to pull the rear wheel and take a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
new sprockets too, I bet your front sprocket is hooking

On a sidenote, I bet turning the sprockets around will double their life since the chain only touches one side of the sprocket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Change the sprockets and the chain. The difference is huge if you have a very old and stretched chain. put it on a rear stand and take the front sprocket cover off. Then just turn the wheel. You will easily spot the bad links. Also check the manual for max chain wear and measure the chain. That will give you all the needed answers.

·
Registered
912 Posts
make sure you change the sprocket and the chain. Or the old one will make the new one wear out twice as fast

1 - 7 of 7 Posts