Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not meaning to hijack.... but how the flying fuck do you clean chain lube off your bike?

It's blotted all over my swingarm and the inside of my rims.. whenever I wipe it with water it smears. However I'm worried about using a degreaser-like substance because I'm worrried if it drips it'll damage the tire or make the tires really slick..

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
MattLikesBikes said:
Not meaning to hijack.... but how the flying fuck do you clean chain lube off your bike?

It's blotted all over my swingarm and the inside of my rims.. whenever I wipe it with water it smears. However I'm worried about using a degreaser-like substance because I'm worrried if it drips it'll damage the tire or make the tires really slick..
Honda Pro spray cleaner works great for removing chain wax! It's the stuff in the pink and black can. I use it for EVERYTHING! It takes bugs off the front of your car really well too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube. I',ve tried all the other brands that look like soda when apllied and found this to be the most effective. But I don't apply it before I ride. When I get done from the previous ride (when the chain has some heat built up on it) that is when I apply it. That way it seems to get a chance to "set in" with the warmth of the ride I just got done with. But, just to let you know, if you try Bel-ray Super Clean, and you like to go for the "clean look". This might not be the product for you, because this will leave the top of your rollers white, and I mean really white. But it is the best stuff I have ever used, for O-ring chains anyway.

MattLikesBikes, if you want to clean the residue of you bike left by other chain lubes, that's not a problem. Just take a shop towel a spray it down with Simple Green, and wipe away. I will take that stuff right off. Along with anything else you've picked up off the road!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I find that a good white lithium grease is great if you're worried about fling. It doesn't. Not to mention that it's not moly or petroleum grease based, so you don't get too many stickies....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use PJ1 Blue Label, and to clean the fly off, I use a little brake clean and a rag. It will evaporate almost as fast as you put it on, so if it gets on anything it wont hurt it. SK, how do you not use lube. The noise from the chain would drive me nuts.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
I switched from Maxim to Motul (cleaner and lube).
Motul rocks for maintaining the chain.

To get ride off the flung up oil residue just use a degreaser (simple green, grease lightning-what I use, etc.) works very easily.

I tried pro honda cleaner and it took alot of effort, but it does work for cleaning the bike and puts a nice shine to her.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
I use PJ1 Blue Label, and have to agree they all will fling a bit. I am pretty anal and have used a number of them. Last one I used was Maxima Chain Wax (which I liked a lot too)

As for cleanup, I use this cheap 409 knockoff from WalMop that's about 1 dollar for a bottle, I cut it with a little water and it takes all grime off.

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
WD-40 takes the goop right off just did that myself. I use Bel-Ray chain lube VERY sparingly. Let it set overnight it will still fling but it's very easy to clean. I stopped using the Super Clean cause it's just a bitch to clean it's so thick.

ninja500rider I just put a gold DID Xring on my gix and like the one I put on my F3 it came from the factory coated in what looks like lithium grease. You may have it right. Anyone know what that stuff is they include in the little sqeeze packs?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Enygma said:
I use PJ1 Blue Label, and have to agree they all will fling a bit. I am pretty anal and have used a number of them. Last one I used was Maxima Chain Wax (which I liked a lot too)
I pretty much used the same two. I like the PJ-1 a lot better because there is not as much buildup. I also like the white coasting so I can see where I have applied.

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
Jackal79 said:
I didn't have any chain wax left today so I used wd-40. Using wd-40 is ok right?
For a quick minute (to ride to a motorcycle dealer), but I wouldn't recommend it. Go out and get some Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube ($9) and do it up right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I always clean the chain with degreaser and then lube it with WD-40. It keeps chain noise down,looks good, and doesnt fling all over the bike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts