Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all !
I have a problem with my chain binding up. This causes the tension to be tighter in some spots during rotation than others. I cleaned the chain of all the chain lube with wd-40 and it stopped binding and seemed to work fine. I then put a nice coat of belray chain lube back on it and its binding up again! The chain is a fairly new d.i.d. chain, only a year or so of use. Is it already time to buy another chain? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Almost all chains have a tight spot. When you adjust the chain, you should roll the bike around and find the tight spot and do the adjustment. Then, repeat.

If you do this already, there could be a bad link.

B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. If it was a bad link though why would it be ok after i cleaned it? It started binding again only after i put lube back on. Weird eh?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not certain. If it's an o-ring chain, cleaning it would get all the lube out of the faulty link and it would not bind. But the lube might be gunking the o-ring up.

Just a guess.

B

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how many miles are on the chain?

·
Registered
528 Posts
F4Johnny said:
Hi all !
I have a problem with my chain binding up. This causes the tension to be tighter in some spots during rotation than others. I cleaned the chain of all the chain lube with wd-40 and it stopped binding and seemed to work fine. I then put a nice coat of belray chain lube back on it and its binding up again! The chain is a fairly new d.i.d. chain, only a year or so of use. Is it already time to buy another chain? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)
WD-40 is a penetrant which being applied to an O-ring chain would be like wearing a condom and rubbing Vaseline all over it and having sex(just in case you don't know Vaseline breaks the latex down). :bitchslap It has been recommended time after time NOT to use WD-40.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Try using a heavy weight oil. Like straight 30 weight. Or Luckas this should help lossed it up. Clean it with Karosine (sp). Then add the oil. Just wipe the extra oil off the chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for all the help. I believe my chain might have around 2k miles on it. I also will NOT use wd-40 again but i read somewhere that it was equivalent to kerosene as far as cleaning was concerned. Opinions seem to differ on that one but I will stick to kerosene just to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts