Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to clean the chain for the katana and both my Suzuki and my Haynes manual says to clean it w/ kerosene. I've heard some ppl in here say they use WD40. What gives? Does anyone else in here use kerosene?

Luckily the kan-o-tuna has a centerstand for me to do the cleaning but my question is, do I have to take the chain completely off? Is that going to be a pain in the azz? It looks as if there may be some rusty links so I bought a couple of steel brushes to try to take care of that.

·
Banned
245 Posts
Theres a lot of people who do use WD40.

But only use WD40 as a cleaner. It isn't a lubricant. If people claim its a lubricant, then its a very fine lubricant for maybe sewing machines.

There are maybe half? who use kerosene. You can find it at gas stations, rental places and hardware stores.

Then you can apply a very heavy oil or gear oil on each roller after cleaning. But that depends on what your manufact states. Or use a type of a chain wax at your local motorcycle shop or one of their spray lubes.

You can do a search on the old forum and theres tons of topics.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
No, you don't have to take the chain off. The center stand will help a bunch. Kerosene works well to clean chains as does a biodegradable degreaser. Use a brush to get all the crud off but be carefull if you have O- or X-rings on the chain. If after cleaning and lubing, you still have a few stiff links, it may be time for a new chain.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RayOSV said:
If after cleaning and lubing, you still have a few stiff links, it may be time for a new chain.
BAH!
that's what I didn't want to hear because new chain means new sprockets! I have no $$$ :a2

Do you guys know what the symptoms of a loose chain are? I was riding tonight and if I got above 4500 RPM I would hear a fluttering noise... and it kinda bogged/resisted too.. I know it's not the engine because I pull the clutch and rev it up the 9's-10's and don't hear it at all. So I checked the slack on the chain halfway between the axle and front peg and it was 2-2 1/2 inches, so I whipped out the Haynes manual and attempted to tighten it up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use wd-40 as a cleaner for my chain... I ride the bike for about 10 miles then bring it home and put it on the centerstand.

Wd-40 to clean... spray on using cardboard as a backer between the chain and the rear tier, then just wipe it off...

I then spray Maxima chain wax on and let it set up over night...

I usually lube about every 600 miles... I check adjustment about every 1,500 miles...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Makaveli said:
Do you guys know what the symptoms of a loose chain are? I was riding tonight and if I got above 4500 RPM I would hear a fluttering noise... and it kinda bogged/resisted too.. I know it's not the engine because I pull the clutch and rev it up the 9's-10's and don't hear it at all. So I checked the slack on the chain halfway between the axle and front peg and it was 2-2 1/2 inches,
it should never be that big, if it is to loose, from what ive read it can wear down your sprockets. ive never had this problem because i check over my bike before i go ride.

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
A good trick to KEEPING it clean......is clean it really good with kerosene, then go ride it for a few miles to heat up the chain......getting all the kerosene and gunk off, and as soon as you roll in, put it on the stand and wax it while the chains still warm......helps it stick.

Then it's time to wash that back wheel from all the gunk you just slung on it ;)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
CasterTroy said:
A good trick to KEEPING it clean......is clean it really good with kerosene, then go ride it for a few miles to heat up the chain......getting all the kerosene and gunk off, and as soon as you roll in, put it on the stand and wax it while the chains still warm......helps it stick.

Then it's time to wash that back wheel from all the gunk you just slung on it ;)

Exactly what I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
new chain does not always equal new sprockets, take a look at your sprocket's teeth from the side (of the bike). the front and back of each tooth should be symetrical (same slope on both sides, b/c your chain only pulls on one side) if they are not worn, there is no need to replace them.

hope this helps,
Craig

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Makaveli said:
BAH!
that's what I didn't want to hear because new chain means new sprockets! I have no $$$ :a2

Do you guys know what the symptoms of a loose chain are? I was riding tonight and if I got above 4500 RPM I would hear a fluttering noise... and it kinda bogged/resisted too.. I know it's not the engine because I pull the clutch and rev it up the 9's-10's and don't hear it at all. So I checked the slack on the chain halfway between the axle and front peg and it was 2-2 1/2 inches, so I whipped out the Haynes manual and attempted to tighten it up.
if the chain is getting lose its probably time for a new chain if this continues to happen

·
Registered
380 Posts
WD-40 and chain wax for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts