Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta replace the chain and sprockets on my F4i after 16k. Any recommendations? I've been pushed towards a DID X-ring and Vortex aluminum sprockets. I am not a track superstar, so I'd like some longetivity. Also, how many links is a stock F4i chain, and the stock sprocket sizes?

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
Don't waste your money on aluminum sprockets ;) Its not even worth it in club racing. I wouldn't waste money and time on a 520 chain either.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
If you want longetivity, go with the OEM stuff. 16k miles out of the stock set really isn't that bad. Solid steel is the cheapest and will last the longest for the price.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the stock sizes? Anyone know?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Here ya go truck,click on manuals and download your very own service manual.

Be sure to tell her thanks on her guest page,she is an SBN member and is serving in Iraq.

Stephy G's CBR F4i Page
http://www.stephygee.com/

How much are you wanting to spend?

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like nice things, but my wallet aint looking for a 800 chain and sprocket setup :D.

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
Chain size is 525 and 108 links. OEM #'s are - D.I.D (DID525HV-108LE) or RK (RKGB525ROZ1-108LE). When I replaced my stock chain (14k miles) I got a D.I.D X-ring... it's got 13k on it now and still in like new condition, and barely stretched at all (almost still on the first "new" mark). So far I'm very happy with it! If your doing it yourself with the tool and you haven't done it before, take my advise, order a handful of master links, hahah. Took me 3 times before I was happy with the way it went together. Also the one that came with the chain was the clip type, not rivet type, so I had to order new ones anyways.

Here's the one I got...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=13329&department=660&Division=6

Sprockets I can't really help ya... mine are still the stock ones. Sizes though are 46 rear and 16 front

·
My fanclub is here
1,918 Posts
I'll give ya the same advice I'd give anyone. Go to sprocketcenter.com and call them up. Tell em what bike you have, how you like to ride and they'll hook you up. Heck even tell em what you want to spend. I should get commision from these guys or least see about making them a sponsor here. I'm pretty sure there isn't a combo they can't satisfy. Fast shipping too. I stick to D.I.D X ring series and AFAM sprockets. They send both style links too so you can put it on yourself with the clip then ride to a shop and have them swap in the rivet. Ask about aluminum sprockets while you're on the line. :)

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Truck

Did you go to that site and get the manual for your bike,it's free.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, I got it :D, thanks. How do you like your Sidewinder setup? Worth the big bucks?

Steve

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Truck said:
I like nice things, but my wallet aint looking for a 800 chain and sprocket setup :D.

I only paid $519............and I'm likeing it.With the Afam,even when it was new,there seemed to be a little hesition when I would get on it.With the sidewinder,the power delivery is instant.

Was a PITA to press those titanium pins though.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wish you had some miles on your setup to let me know how it is. I'll probably run in SpeedWerks tommorow morning, just get a DID X-Ring and see what sprockets they reccomend. If the Sidewinder stuff gets tried and trued, I'll invest :D.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Truck said:
Wish you had some miles on your setup to let me know how it is. I'll probably run in SpeedWerks tommorow morning, just get a DID X-Ring and see what sprockets they reccomend. If the Sidewinder stuff gets tried and trued, I'll invest :D.

We should know by the middle of next summer if it passes the 16,000 mark.

They did say 3 times the life though,we'll see.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Definately go with steel sprockets. You can go 520 if you want, but it's retarded. Doesn't make any difference, really. Just go with whatever chian size gets you the cheapest chain and sprockets. Also, sometimes you can't get steel rears for certain chain sizes, etc., so check into that as well. On stuff like my R6 that uses a 532, it's cheaper to convert to 530 b/c 532 is pretty expensive (no one uses it), and then of course the 520 conversions are a little more b/c of the popularity.

If you are looking for a little more acceleration, go up one or two teeth in the back if you can still get a steel rear, and then just go with factory chain sizing unless its' something weird like a 532.

·
Official E-Thug
1,689 Posts
chances are +2 teeth in the rear will require a different chain size. On my bike (636) +1 rear tooth requires a longer chain

1 - 18 of 18 Posts