Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had the bike since 1st July, but, at 2200 miles, I've just had to adjust the chain slack for the second time (I did it the first time at about the 600 mile service).

I would not have expected the chain to go slack so quickly, although the swing arm is longer than my previous bike, so maybe longer chains need adjusting more frequently.

Do other owners find the need to adjust the chain this frequently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you use to lubricate the chain?, I use a scottoiler and have never had to adjust the chain yet at 4000 miles,definitley worth the money.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glyn9 said:
I've only had the bike since 1st July, but, at 2200 miles, I've just had to adjust the chain slack for the second time (I did it the first time at about the 600 mile service).

I would not have expected the chain to go slack so quickly, although the swing arm is longer than my previous bike, so maybe longer chains need adjusting more frequently.

Do other owners find the need to adjust the chain this frequently?
I also adjusted the chain at 500 km. Since that time (now I've completed 23.000 km) I never needed to adjust.
Lubrication: Scottoiler. I expect not to need to adjust until 35-40.000 km.
Usual, if the chain is lubricated correctly (spray each 300 km or use a Scottoiler or something like that), the chain needs adjustment after 500-1000 km and after that no adjustment is needed until it 's at the end of its life. That should be after at least 25-30.000 km and at that time you can adjust a number of times (each 300-500 km) for a period of 2000 km and then it's gone.
So: the adjustment at 2200 miles is unusual. Cause can be bad lubrication or maybe a chain which is too tight (vertical space must be 3 to 4 cm).

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Jumping Jack said:
Cause can be bad lubrication or maybe a chain which is too tight (vertical space must be 3 to 4 cm).
I believe that is ~1.77 in - 2.14 inches of total play. I also adjusted mine early on and it made kind of a whirring sound which made me think it was a little too tight, so I let it out just a little bit. Once the iniatial stretch of being new is done, it shouldnt really change.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mine required a few adjustments initially (pre-1500 miles or so), but has now settled in and doesn't need adjustment. The only exception was when the dealer did the 4000-mile service and set the chain way too tight.

Anthony

·
Registered
71 Posts
Greetings Glyn -
Just my two cents, but I don't think your chain adjustment issue is a problem. I adjusted mine at 1000k and expect to do so again about every 2000k (if needed), as I've done with every other chain-drive bike I've owned, until it's worn out - you should get at least 20,000k. Depending on your riding habits (i.e., aggressive acceleration) chain stretch may occur throughout the life of the chain, more at first, then significantly less as time goes on. I just spray lube every 500k and never overtighten. May try that Scottoiler myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
a word of caution. i have adjusted my chain to the specs about 2 inches of play in accordance with the manual and i got the whirring sound as well and the chain was surely too tight as the chain actually looked as if it got hot. i loosened back up were i feel just a little play from on throttle off throttle. i am new to the streetbike chain adjustment. i had a harley for a few years that was belt driven.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts