Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chain adjustment question

I cleaned and adjusted my chain today, and noticed something interesting.

I went to tighten up the jam nut, and it really felt like the threads were trying to strip. I don't know if it was the nuts or the screw, but things just didn't feel right. Has anyone ever run into this before?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Only one way to find out. Take the nuts out and inspect them and while your there inspect the screw too. (no phun intended):lol

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I've yet to have to adjust my chain, but if it doesn't feel right I'd bet it's not.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just did mine today and it was smooth as butter and locked nicely...no slipping. Then again, I always use a torque wrench and torque to factory specs (no less, no more).

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
torque wrench- What kind do I want?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
karst said:
torque wrench- What kind do I want?
The best ones are the click type, but they're expensive. You can get a beam type for about $20 that will work.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Unless you're looking for a top-end unit, you can usually find a somewhat decent "click" torque wrench at auto-parts stores for no more than $30. If you're wanting a Craftsman or Snap-On quality one, you'll spend quite a few pennies more.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I spent the bucks on good click types and it feels good every time I use them but I gotta believe that if you are within 15% you are good. Click reduces the uncertainty of the results but if you are on a budget beam is fine. Use the instrument properly and you'll get the results you want.

Also I noticed that my local Pep Boys had significantly better prices on clickers than Sears. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
HarborFreight wins, since I'll be able to afford a 3/8 and 1/2. But then again, I have an old friend who owes me a nice B-day gift. I could play the sympathy card and try for a Snap-On, since he's such an addict. Tools are good, very good.

First link that came up googling torque wrench:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
karst said:
HarborFreight wins, since I'll be able to afford a 3/8 and 1/2. But then again, I have an old friend who owes me a nice B-day gift. I could play the sympathy card and try for a Snap-On, since he's such an addict. Tools are good, very good.

First link that came up googling torque wrench:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tork-grip.html

Dudes.. Ya gotta love this chick...

FZ6 / Tools .... what else could ya ask for.... (well... nevermind...)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The important question is how much I will use them.

Next week I will report (hopefully) on a chain adjustment (axel nuts noted) and tank bolts. Advanced stuff, eh? But after the monkeys at the dealership switch me over to synth, I hope to do oil changes too. I'm getting filthy chain grease on the keyboard as we 'speak.' Okay, I'm outta here for some serious scrubbing with some orange/pumice stuff. Y'all rock.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
karst said:
The important question is how much I will use them.

Next week I will report (hopefully) on a chain adjustment (axel nuts noted) and tank bolts. Advanced stuff, eh? But after the monkeys at the dealership switch me over to synth, I hope to do oil changes too. I'm getting filthy chain grease on the keyboard as we 'speak.' Okay, I'm outta here for some serious scrubbing with some orange/pumice stuff. Y'all rock.
Fast orange for cleaning hands. It's great, and smells good!
If my hands are really nasty, I'll preclean them with 'goop'. It's a petroleum based hand cleaner, and really helps get the really heavy stuff off. Then I use the fast orange to finish it.

Fortunately, I have access to ultrasonic cleaners at work, so I clean the gunk out from under my nails in those the next morning. Works REALLY well if you can stand the pain on the open cuts.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I got a cheap beam torque wrench for $25 CDN, it works fine for everything but the pickiest of jobs I'd imagine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
dish whashing gloves, that's what I use when doing mechanic work, bike car or whatever, if they feel ok, I will use them, or you could use dr. gloves, latex gloves sorry, work the best.

·
Registered
245 Posts
What mileage did you have when you guys did your first chain adjustment?, what is too much play(in a chain)?, or I mean when?, my got 3k miles and the chain is tight, I like it.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fz6yamaha said:
What mileage did you have when you guys did your first chain adjustment?, what is too much play(in a chain)?, or I mean when?, my got 3k miles and the chain is tight, I like it.
The owner's manual has the sag specs. I think it's around 1" of freeplay. How often it needs to be adjusted really depends on how you ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts