Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where to buy some Ceramic Tape for my headers / midpipe??
anybody ever run with Ceramic Tape and have opinions?

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah.. I dont have that kind of money.. looking for some ceramic tape.. I know they have it, but I cant find anyone who sells it

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
I may be wrong but I have always been under the impression that tape for headers was there for race bikes with straight pipes and very short pipes. Basically there to keep the header hot, causing a chimney effect and in that stopping cool air from rushing back into the combustion chamber and shattering valves. Not really needed or even applicable in street riding.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kawisixer01 said:
I may be wrong but I have always been under the impression that tape for headers was there for race bikes with straight pipes and very short pipes. Basically there to keep the header hot, causing a chimney effect and in that stopping cool air from rushing back into the combustion chamber and shattering valves. Not really needed or even applicable in street riding.
What I've always been told is it keeps the heat from the headers IN the headers.. No heat radiating out from your pipes.. Result is it keeps the temp of the bike lower, and the heat on your legs, and the temp of your airbox lower as well. With no heat coming off your headers, the air in the radiator stays cooler, the cooler air in your airbox allows for a denser charge of fuel/air mixture, and there is less heat hitting your thighs and legs from the midpipes.. I dont know if it is right or wrong, its just what I have always been told.. I have only seen it on one bike before, a Busa at the dealership, and that is what the shop guys told me.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The extra heat held into the headers will eventually degrade the metal. In the long run its cheaper to get them ceramic coated. I was quoted 125.00 for my fz6.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
WISPER said:
The extra heat held into the headers will eventually degrade the metal. In the long run its cheaper to get them ceramic coated. I was quoted 125.00 for my fz6.
Exactly. I was thinking about $100 to $150. Not a lot of money really when a pipe costs $400 alone. My bros are this silver color but I think you can also get em coated black in color.

The difference is amazing. Much less radiant heat and you can actually touch the manifolds for a ½ second or so and not get burned. I guess because it’s such a poor conductor of heat. If I had the extra cash that would be 2nd on my list after my steering damper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts