Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay i have a motorola v220 with cingular and it makes me want to kill myself. The signal fades in and out so bad. So i am looking at buying new phones from ebay. I know they have to be unlocked and compatible with cingular gsm network. What i dont understand is what my phone runs on.

Alot of the phones are from other countries...(not scams, i know how to find scams) They say they operate on the 900 and 1800 network but will NOT work with 850...my question is what does my current phone operate on and what do i need to look for on my new phone? thanks

Also do i need quad band or is tri band good enough? so many things haha

Also i am looking at buying the motorola e398 cause of the expandable mp3 player option and price

this is a quote from an ebay auction explaining what i am talking about

"This phone works with any GSM service providers operating at 900/1800/1900 MHz frequency like

T-Mobile
Cingular/AT&T (1900Mhz band only. This phone doesn't work with Cingular 850 Mhz network. Check with Cingular Customer service about operating frequency in your area before buying)"

·
Registered
813 Posts
You current phone is a triband gsm 900/1800/1900 phone.

The reason why ANY gsm will work is cingular will provide (or you will take from your current phone) a SIM chip that you put in the back of your phone. This chip is what give you service and phone number.. All SIM chips are standard in size so you don't have to worry if yours will fit.

A GSM phone from another country will work fine.. just like you can take your GSM phone to Europe and buy a sim chip.. Here at work, we buy a SIM chip in Germany if the person will be there for more than 4 weeks (to take advantage of local German rates in stead of international roaming).. one bad thing is that their phone number will change to a German phone number... but when they get back, we put the old SIM card back in.

Triband is fine.. quad band is perferable if you're going out of the country.

And as you know, CDMA phones will not work with Cingular..

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Be careful that your reception problem isn't Cingular. In most areas, their service/coverage is not so great. Might want to read some reviews of your current phone to see what others say about the reception. If it's generally good, I'd suspect Cingular.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That phone will ork fine. I don't believe that Cingular uses the 850 Mhz frequency. I believe it's only used in Europe. Any tri-band 900/1800/1900 phone should work fine if it's a) unlocked or b) a Cingular phone. Try to look up some reviews on gsmworld or some other cell phone sites before you jump into a new phone. Some phones look great on paper, but work worse than your current POS. I've had horrible luck with cell phones, though my current phone isn't too bad(Sony Ericsson Z500a). My next phone will have bluetooth though, that's one thing I really want.

Good luck!

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
to get a definate answer, you can just call your local cell phone shop and ask them... tell them the phone that you are looking to buy and what you will need to make it work here. they might give you some BS depending on the place, but i would imagine most would give you a good response.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in the menus in my current phone it says it has 900-850 1900,....i thought i needed a phone that operates on the 850 scale? inform me if i am wrong.

My reception problem is my phone, other friends of mine were here last night (all have cingular) and the same phone as me...thier phones get 5 bars while i get 1, my phone is just broke i guess

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, your phone probably is just bad. Either way, the 900/1800/1900 phones will work with Cingular, trust me. My phone runs on those frequencies and I've used it all over the country.

·
Registered
430 Posts
you may want to check to make sure it uses the correct type of chip. My buddy has Cingular/ATT and he was told that they are switching the network to use a certain type of chip going from 128-256 or something like that and all people on the network that have an older phone chips will need to get a new one with the new type of chip. Just a thought. Maybe someone with more info could chime in.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
It's probably jsut poor coverage or too many users in the area you are on the network(or same tower) at one time, but the V200 as all Motorola phones is a big piece of shit.

The whole idea behind the different technologies now used by the various companies is to deal with the volume of customers on the network at the same time. SOmetimes a tower gets overloaded, and sometimes the signal is weak enough to drop, and it won't matter what phone you use.

The frequency band in the US for GSM service is almost entirely 1800mhz, with some 850 being used in the South by Cingular/ATT, and 1900 is used mostly in Europe, with 800 used in various parts of the world.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
license2ill said:
The frequency band in the US for GSM service is almost entirely 1800mhz, with some 850 being used in the South by Cingular/ATT, and 1900 is used mostly in Europe, with 800 used in various parts of the world.

1900 is used mainly in cities and 850 is used in rural areas because of the greater strength...thats what i am finding while searching

1 - 11 of 11 Posts