Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 150cc bike started misfiring. I thought it was a dirty carb, so I cleaned it, and it did improve, but the misfires were still there.

So I went ahead and grabbed a coil from another bike with the same coil and it works perfectly. This would be its second bad coil, the first one at 800kms and now this one at 7000kms. The first one I tought was defective, but maybe it was burned by the CDI and it took to the CDI 6200 kms to burn the new one???

Is that possible or I just got another bad coil?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Make sure the gap in your spark plugs is correct. Also, clean the threads on the plugs and in the engine case. The spark plugs use the case as a ground, and if the connection is bad, there is a chance it could be frying the coils. See if this helps. That is a strange situation.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jim schmidt said:
Voltage Regulator.
mmm

Why it is frying coils but not the CDI???

I think my bike's voltage regulator overcharges a little bit (white stuff on the + battery terminal), but I think that is all. Everytime I've "tested" the voltage regulator with a multimeter it is within specs.

But... I've only done it while testing it for a correct charging, I've never tested the output voltage it delivers to bulbs and the rest of the parts.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Redstar11 said:
Make sure the gap in your spark plugs is correct. Also, clean the threads on the plugs and in the engine case. The spark plugs use the case as a ground, and if the connection is bad, there is a chance it could be frying the coils. See if this helps. That is a strange situation.
Gap is correct and there is no dirt on the plug's threads. I've already tried cleaning/regapping, but it didn't helped at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts