61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Dont be gay.............you cant have me

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
The growth of CCW laws in states across the nation has coincided with a steady decrease in violent crimes in those states. That is a fact.
It supports the view that CCW laws could be viewed as a deterrent.

I don't care if me personally carrying is a deterrent to anyone. But it may someday be a permanent deterrent to someone. But I sincerely hope not.

All I suggest is that if you choose to carry, go about it professionally. Get as much training as possible. Change your whole mindset. This is not something to be taken casually. It is the ultimate responsibility.

Hunting is not the only legitimate purpose for firearms. Self defense is far more legitimate.

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
The whole second amendment was put in place during a time when the general public was in charge of protecting our nation's interests - but at that time we were barely a nation.

Times have changed. However, I think it's still important for the general public to have that responsibility. In the unlikely event that China would start offloading troops on the coastline, the people against firearms would turn their opinions around real quick.

This doesn't really apply to carrying. I do agree that training is the most important part of owning a firearm, because if you dont know how to use it, it doesn't serve a purpose. Everybody thinks they can fire a gun, until you're faced with the situation and you fuck it up. Not everybody can hit something at 200 yards, let alone 50 yards, or even 50 feet.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
sexyicecold said:
I have no desire, EVER, to own a gun, shoot a gun, or have one in my household or any other property.
Go to your local shooting range with someone who's shot before (malik). Rent a gun and pop off 50-100 rounds. Your tune will change. You might not go out and buy a gun or instantly love shooting, but I bet you enjoy it and get a small insight to the people who do enjoy them. I don't think its fair to pass anytype of judgement on them without ever having fired one. There's nothing bad or taboo about shooting guns, especially in controlled environments. Why count it out with giving it a try? DO IT FOR SBN! :cheers

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Eh- i'm split on the issue. I hate it when people say: "ooh! the 2nd amendment! you CAN'T take my right away! i'm a dumb redneck and loves my guns! guns guns guns!" <- these people piss me off. Everyone knows the second amendment was written a long time ago, and has little or no bearing on today's life.

I'm all for CCW laws. I want to get one. But to just say that it's your "right" is dumb. That's not a good enough reason. And as stated here, i feel much more safe with a knife on my side that a gun. I can pull my knife out of my pocket, flip it open, and stab someone in the temple much faster than i could ever pull a gun.

And people that say "guns are dangerous, blah blah blah" piss me off just as much. Basically- both these groups just dont want to hear the other side's arguements. It's NOT THAT CUT AND DRY! Basically, these people are just being ignorant. STOP IT! You're not helping anyone when you do that! You need to be able to look at it from both sides. Both liberals and conservatives are just as guilty of this.

I don't know much, but i know that every household in switzerland has a gun, and they have the lowest number of home invasions of any country in the world.

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
While you're at it, go hump a dude. You might like it too.

Some things people just don't want to try and won't like it even when they do try it. I love shooting handguns, but can't convince the wife that we need one. I love riding sportbikes, but can't convince the wife to get on it. Come to think of it, she won't do anything I like.

I need a husband.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If you look at the history behind the 2nd A, how it developed was, historically every unarmed society has been enslaved by their goverment, and that still stands true. the 2nd A was a check (checks n balances) on the U.S. (colonial) goverment by the people to ensure that the American people would never be enslaved by their goverment because they had the power to revolt, the very thing the US was built on.

Besides they were NEEDED for hunting, killing coyotes and other neccessary things 200 years ago, and we have out lived the NEED for such a primative weaponry but not the Ideals it is based on. honestly I dont know a single democrat that trusts the goverment, (even the clinton era) and yet thats who is against having an armed society. I dont get or understand that. Honestly untill I can leave my car running with the windows down and my wallet on the seat in inner city detroit, we have the need for an armed society.

Their is a great simpsons episode based on this where Lisa wished all guns would go away and they did, than they got invaded by aliens and were helpless. You never know what the world has in store for you.

My car contains:
2 gallons gas
20 rnds
1 gun
1 zippo
Blankets
3 precut logs
knife
spotlight
flares
3 mre's

I will be damned if you will catch me stranded and helpless, one or the other but not both.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
bzbatl said:

Some things people just don't want to try and won't like it even when they do try it. I love shooting handguns, but can't convince the wife that we need one. I love riding sportbikes, but can't convince the wife to get on it. Come to think of it, she won't do anything I like.

I need a husband.
i think thats post of the week material right there.

as far as the shooting thins goes, i've offered. i like to shot. not because i think of shooting people (anymore) but i do enjoy the practice, the patience and the focus being a shot takes. i've offered her some hand to hand training as well. she just says tells me that what she keeps me around for.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
i also want to add thats this has been a very nice, civil discussion and i appreciate everyones contribution. :cheers for us.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Why shouldnt it stay civil?

Why cant we be testy too? Im alright with testy. Just not being stupid while being testy

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
bzbatl said:

I need a husband.
I just laughed out loud at work. :lol

Also, a nice post. I'm not interested in handling guns or most other weapons, just like many of you may not be interested in Opera or watching Broadway musicals.

Edit: And to be testy, I don't have to have a permit or go through a legal battle to listen to the "My Fair Lady" soundtrack on my mp3 player while it's hidden in my jacket. :neener

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just wanted to add something here...

I looked it up on the internet(not sure if its a viable source but seems like it) and i currently attend Kettering University in Flint, Michigan which is ranked 4th as most dangerous city. Also i believe in 2004 it was 2nd in the nation for violent crime rate with 5538 incidents/100,000 residents. If any of you have seen "roger and Me", movie created by michael moore know what im talking about when i say its a crap hole.. GM pretty much left thousands on the street and the town isn't recovering fast.

To get to my point, I live in a VERY dangerous city ( very close to the hood, if not in it). I have thought many times about concealing because i have heard many horror stories of students getting robbed while walking from the dorms to the academic building. This is very scary since there are times one needs to travel outside at night (good drunk story about that but that is for another forum).

Ask your self this question. cause i have which changed my mind about carrying. When faced against someone with nothing to lose, and you pull that gun out to show them that your serious, what is the chance that they are going to give up and flee?? In Flint they drive up fast behind you, jump out and rob the *u*k out of you. There really is no time to beat them to the punch on preparing yourself.

Just thinking and i thought i would share my insight on this. If anyone wants to hear the drunk story i shall post it in the michigan forums. Funny stuff.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
dualhcsniatpac said:
I just wanted to add something here...

I looked it up on the internet(not sure if its a viable source but seems like it) and i currently attend Kettering University in Flint, Michigan which is ranked 4th as most dangerous city. Also i believe in 2004 it was 2nd in the nation for violent crime rate with 5538 incidents/100,000 residents. If any of you have seen "roger and Me", movie created by michael moore know what im talking about when i say its a crap hole.. GM pretty much left thousands on the street and the town isn't recovering fast.

To get to my point, I live in a VERY dangerous city ( very close to the hood, if not in it). I have thought many times about concealing because i have heard many horror stories of students getting robbed while walking from the dorms to the academic building. This is very scary since there are times one needs to travel outside at night (good drunk story about that but that is for another forum).

Ask your self this question. cause i have which changed my mind about carrying. When faced against someone with nothing to lose, and you pull that gun out to show them that your serious, what is the chance that they are going to give up and flee?? In Flint they drive up fast behind you, jump out and rob the *u*k out of you. There really is no time to beat them to the punch on preparing yourself.

Just thinking and i thought i would share my insight on this. If anyone wants to hear the drunk story i shall post it in the michigan forums. Funny stuff.

Just some advice and take it for what it is worth......never draw a gun to scare someone or to intimidate them......you pull it then shoot it. When I am off duty and I draw my gun...then someone is getting shot because if I have enough justification to draw it then I have enough justification to use it.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
sexyicecold said:
I just laughed out loud at work. :lol

Also, a nice post. I'm not interested in handling guns or most other weapons, just like many of you may not be interested in Opera or watching Broadway musicals.

Edit: And to be testy, I don't have to have a permit or go through a legal battle to listen to the "My Fair Lady" soundtrack on my mp3 player while it's hidden in my jacket. :neener
Uh...............My fair lady and the sound of music should be outlawed

·
Registered
226 Posts
OFFICER737 said:
Just some advice and take it for what it is worth......never draw a gun to scare someone or to intimidate them......you pull it then shoot it. When I am off duty and I draw my gun...then someone is getting shot because if I have enough justification to draw it then I have enough justification to use it.
Very good point there... my fear is just thinking that. "Is what i think justified what someone else is going to think is justified" I swear i hear these stories of people trying to do the right thing and end up getting in trouble. I dont want to draw my gun cause i think im going to die, shoot someone and then go to jail for murder because someone doesnt think that it was self defense. Im sure you have heard stories OFFICER, of cops shooting people from a heat of the moment activities and get severely punished. I know because i rigorously watch the discovery channel and CourtTV which has that shit on there all the time.

Point being im not putting whether i go to jail for life on some jury or judges hands. Ill just let them take my money. then maybe shoot them in the back . just kiddding. but im sure you see my point.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
dualhcsniatpac said:
Very good point there... my fear is just thinking that. "Is what i think justified what someone else is going to think is justified" I swear i hear these stories of people trying to do the right thing and end up getting in trouble. I dont want to draw my gun cause i think im going to die, shoot someone and then go to jail for murder because someone doesnt think that it was self defense. Im sure you have heard stories OFFICER, of cops shooting people from a heat of the moment activities and get severely punished. I know because i rigorously watch the discovery channel and CourtTV which has that shit on there all the time.

Point being im not putting whether i go to jail for life on some jury or judges hands. Ill just let them take my money. then maybe shoot them in the back . just kiddding. but im sure you see my point.

I get your point bro! I know if I have to shoot my gun at work there is going to be an internal investigation, a state and federal investigation, the case will be carried to the grand jury and there is the civil lawsuit that will come to. The laws a little funny by the use of deadly force to protect yourself or that of a third party reads something to the tune of "if a reasonsable person is in fear of their life and or bodily or that of a third party". Like you said....what you feel might be different from another person. It's kinda like a double edged sword. Bad part is that these days...even when you give them your money and stuff they still kill you.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
resonable force is a whole nother topic..........

man the way people interperet shit is jacked.

I cant see how anyone should be held responsible for defending themselves but it just takes a district attourney with a hardon to fuck your world up

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
sexyicecold said:

To be fair, we don't make comments on the opera without actually going :D (well any serious comments). As well as the fact that to go to a range and rent a gun, you pretty much have to not be a felon or have a diagnosed mental disorder. No legal hoops to jump through. I think to try and pose an opinion on something with no desire to try it is unfair. Give it a shot, what do you have to lose? You might even, cough cough like it. I think that's whats scarying you the most. Don't worry, we won't hold it against ya. :cheers

61 - 80 of 107 Posts