Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to do something about my damn CCT-tensioner on my '02 F4i.

Any advice on where to buy an automatic (factory part) or a manual.

If you're a fan of manual, which do you recommend, APE or Erion?

I've heard the Erion manual for the 900RR will also fit an F4i - is there any truth behind this? I'm not having much luck finding info on an Erion for the F4i.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll just answer my own question...

The 900rr tensioner is the same as the F4i tensioner (same part number - confirmed with Honda dealer).

I ordered the Erion last week and it should be here any day now.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Just saw the thread. I bought the factory replacement, even though I may need to replace it again. If this one goes 10k, I guess I won't be too disappointed. Considered the manual, but with my schedule, I didn't want to have to find time to readjust.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought the APE manual CCT for my bike. However I havent put it on yet. Once one of u guys replace yours, could you please take some pics or post some instructions on how to change it? I really dont want to take it to the dealer to get it changed since I've heard its easy to change, but my mechanical ability is very limited. I've found a few online instructions on how to change it, but most of the time its for older bikes or for other brands than Honda.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I just put mine on friday. I got the ape manual. It was easy. all you do is remove the stocker (two bolts) and replace with the new one (obviously two bolts as well). It says to get 1/4-3/8" of play between the cam gears and the tensioner. It's kinda hard to see how much slack you have without removing the whole cover, so i just snugged it up, turned the bike on, and tightened till the damn rattling went away. Seemed to work out pretty good. It makes your bike sound so much healthier.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RisingPhoenix said:
I bought the APE manual CCT for my bike. However I havent put it on yet. Once one of u guys replace yours, could you please take some pics or post some instructions on how to change it? I really dont want to take it to the dealer to get it changed since I've heard its easy to change, but my mechanical ability is very limited. I've found a few online instructions on how to change it, but most of the time its for older bikes or for other brands than Honda.

If you have limited mechanical ability, just get a bike shop to replace yours with another stock one.
Squeezing my fingers down in there was a huge pain. Adjusting the CCT without worrying 'is it too loose?' 'is it to tight?' IS also a pain. I put mine in Monday, re-adjusted last night, and will probably mess with it again on Saturday.

I ended up with the APE by the way. I ordered the Erion from the dealer because I decided not to hassle with making sure part numbers were the same - the bastards handed me the APE a week and a half later then I was gone for a week and didn't notice. I still need to call and tell them I could have gotten the APE cheaper elsewhere and they need to cough up some $.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
do a search on this forum for CCT instructions. You should be able to find a link to another site with a step by step write up on the procedure. It looks pretty simple.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the instructions... it was way harder to get at than it should have been though.

I did finally the adjustment right that third time. It was probably correct the first time but I was paranoid and didn't want my babby to suffer so I had to keep checking it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts