Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99cbr 900 . Just bought a new battery cause bike died at atm the other day. I pushed it to auto parts store and they tested it and told me it was the battery. Now I'm out $94 and still don't have a working system. How do I know if its the R/R or stator? How do I test? I jumped it from someone's car tonight to get home . Thanks. By the way, I know new battery is already installed , but what the hell. Im pissed cause the other battery must have still had life in it. Cant the testers tell if the batteries are still good? OK so took off the rr and the tabs on the rr look good but one of the wires was burnt going to it:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way I noticed the burnt connector in the picture after jumping the bike from the car. The car was running (which I didn't think about,I know it should have been off) so I don't know if that's what caused that

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The auto parts guy tested your battery when it was already discharged?--of course it would load test and fail then, duh

It would have to of been fully charged to get an accurate test of the battery.

Anyways, so now you have what was a brand new battery and no charging system output and jumped that battery with a car with the alternator putting out a shitload of output....I hope you didn't leave it hooked up too long like that

Charge the battery fully with a 1 amp battery charger, if your battery is a 8.5a cpacity battery it could take 5-8 hours depending on the state of discharge

Once fully charged leave the stator unplugged. and hook up a voltmeter to it in AC mode set to 100v. Start bike and see if all 3 wires from the stator have the same output, service manual will have the spec but somewhere atleast 60vac is likely in the ballpark, if one or all of them is low~ the stator is bad

You can also test each of those 3 wires for continuity to ground and to each other (bike not running then) if there is any the stator is bad

The reg/rectifier is a bit trickier to test and typically I don't even bother since sometimes they test good and are bad , if the stator is good and the wiring itself is good and you still get no output to the battery-then replace the reg/rectifier

Stator is very common wear out item on the 900/929/954/1000rr's I would not be surprised in the least if that is it.

You can save yourself a shit ton of cash and buy an aftermarket one for less than 1/2 of oem, Ricks makes an excellent product as I am sure other places do too.
On the other hand they can also be rewound by some electrical shops for even less yet, so you could ask your local auto parts store for a contact or google/Bing/yellowpages search for something close, here it runs about $65

oh and you can buy a new connector and spades to replace the burnt end, just make sure the wire insulation is all good and the wire itself is good too....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...so I cut the connector off and put all new ones on. Battery was showing around 13.5 volts when on. Tested the stator and it read a little over 60AC volts. I think I checked the regulator correctly. Used the diode test on meter. it seemed ok so im thinking it was just the connector. Time will tell.thanks for all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts