Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got my CBR running again, but it is idling way too high, and I can't find the idle adjustment screw. It is idling at about 9000 RPMs

I'm not sure if it is getting too much air or something, becasue the fuel tank is not hooked up to it. I've been trying to trouble shoot this and my other problems, but this one is stumping me. I made a video for illustrative purposes

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Pretty sure you have the right spot for the idle adjust. Made the knob is broken off. Keep looking! lol

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gonna keep looking tomorrow. Worked on this for 5 hours today, in 110+ heat. I think it is time to cool off... even though I need to get to the gym

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With it being 106 right now, this will have to wait until tomorrow night

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
You find it?

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet, been at my dad's helping him out. Bike is at me mother's house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 2000 CBR F4 has a carb and the choke can get stuck open the first time you put it on after the bike has been sitting for a long time (months or years). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Take the airbox off. 1. You'll be able to see where the adjuster is coming off the carbs from above, and 2. You can inspect for a pinched/misrouted throttle cable.

Probably neither here nor there concerning your bike, but 3 weeks ago I had to have my bike trucked home(fried main harness). After repairing it, I started it up and it revved damn near to redline before I shut it down. One of the tie-down straps tweeked the throttle tube sticking it in WOT position. I'd put $$ on the idle adjuster being your problem though.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got everything checked but the throttle tube, because nothing worked so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The idle adjust is on the other side, Right side of the bike if your sitting on it. Its a little black plastic knob with a screw in the middle of it.

Although, i doubt it would cause the bike to idle THAT high.... even if its totally turned in one direction i dont think you'll get it to idle past 3-4k with the choke off

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I found it and as I said, that didn't fix anything. Thanks for the advice though! Gonna tinker with it tonight, if I can't get it, then it will wait until I'm in Austin.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha, hopefully I can get her running before Sept 5th, if not I'll take the FZ6 and hopefully have it prepped by then. If not, oh well.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Did you take the airbox off yet? Thats where misrouted throttle cables and such live.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts