Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just bought a brand new 2014 cbr500r and loving it! Even though someoen clipped my mirror. But still love the bike! Gobs of power all over the powerband and handles amazingly! More to be posted as I ride and break it in!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I thought my EX500 had gobs of power. Then I got my speed triple. Holy effing hell. Nice choice on a first bike. You've also got a lot to look forward to. Keep the rubber side down!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now we're sitting at a respectable 145miles. Took a trip from reno to f ernley going round pyramid lake then back to reno on i80. The first half coming around the lake was pretty great; nice sweeping curves, no wind to fight with exception of the wind from going 65-70. The bike handled wonderfully going around on those roads and was even quite stable pull in into a gravel gas station parking lot.
Then the ride from fernley... I figured it would be alright sonce its a few sweeping curves and a few straights for 27miles.... well it totally sucked! Took a huge shot to my confidence since I had to pull over about 4 times. After I'd left fernley they put out a high wind advisory and I was stuck making the trek I was already dedicated. Good god being pretty green from getting up on two and having a huge cross wind on a 65+mph highway really does not feel good. I was struggling a lot and just had a real confidence drop; ended up pulled off an exit for a bit just feeling like my gut was i a knot.
But I made it back into reno and cruised the streets to work myself back up a bit be for heading to work for the night. I feel incredibly comfortable riding on the street but the highway and freeway arent my friends right now.
All in all the bike handles great! Its getting about 75mpg at the moment and its a joy to ride in the city! No real complaints other than maybe wanting more speed but there'll be time for that later.
thanks for reading guys!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I was getting amazing MPGs during the break in of my Versys 650, manual said to keep it under 4K rpms, I kept it under 5K and the MPGs were amazing...

But keeping up with traffic on the interstate was nearly impossible. Once it was broken in it gets the same MPGs as the old Versys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts