Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I'll start off by saying I am taking the MSF beginner course in a couple of weeks, and then plan on purchasing a bike. Before researching, I was told by peers etc to start with a 600 so I don't have to just upgrade in a year or so, but after reading many, many threads on here about that exhausted subject lol, I will no longer make my first bike a ss.

I figured I would get some advice though, my size kind of concerns me. I am 6 ft 3, 4 and 225 pounds. I am wondering if the cbr250 would be fine for me and my stature, or if maybe I should look towards the new to U.S. 500. My primary purposes I guess are commuting, but also a mix of interstate driving maybe sprinkled in, when I work my way there. I really like the way the 250 Respol edition looks to be honest, but I will in no way let that sway me one way or the other, but figured I would put that out there.

I appreciate any and all advice, and have open ears and mind. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured I would also add I would want to drive the bike a lot, throughout town, maybe even downtown etc. I see myself just cruising for good chunks of time probably, and maybe place to place at others. But I definitely want to ride all the time, so I figured I'd add that just in case it is an influence.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No actually. I guess if I could come up with a reason, maybe that a mechanical problem I can not spot on a motorcycle would/could have awful consequences, as opposed to buying new and not worrying about it. But at the same time, I'm sure I can have a used bike looked at, and ask a lot of questions and what not. I'm not completely incompetent, just want to be careful.

But ya, not looking new exclusively. Open to any market. I imagine used is probably actually the way to go, price point wise and maybe first bike wise.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You're better off buying a used bike if you have a few grand sitting around. Buy a used Ninja 250 or Ninja 500, ride it for a few months, learn how to ride, learn what you like and dislike in a bike, then sell it for the same price and go buy the bike you really want.

Edit: Bikes are pretty reliable. As long as it starts and runs, and has no visible damage or leaks, it's probably good-to-go. Standard CL disclaimers apply. If the guy can't spell, can't string together a coherent sentence, if his house and garage are a mess, etc., go elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts