Sport Bikes banner

CBR 600RR Track Bike Transformation in Progress

87K views 482 replies 47 participants last post by  Myke 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought this 2005 CBR 600RR with 1900 miles on it. Over the next few months, I will transforming it into my track bike for 2007. I bought it in Munford, AL very lightly wrecked and brought it home Thanksgiving weekend. (R6 Junkie helped with the 24 hour round trip driving duties) It was mostly cosmetically damaged other than the subframe being very slightly tweaked. Motor runs as new and it even had 1 1/2" chicken strips on the factory tires. Anyway, here are a few pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here are some pictures of the basic tear down. Removal of stock un-needed parts and replacement of the subframe. I bought a subframe from a 2006 on ebay. Also noticeable are the newly installed swingarm sliders.

Attachments

#3 ·
Here is the new subframe installed. I ordered a full set of race plastics yesterday and hope to have them by the end of the week. I will keep updating as the process continues over the next few months.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
I welded the front fairing bracket and straightened it today at work. (aluminum of course) I was going to buy another one but I saved myself $60 by fixing the one I had. No need to waste cash when it's fixable. ***Update... I scrapped it and bought a new one. It was tweaked more than I thought*** I also glued the bolt tabs back onto the guage cluster. They were broken off and still attached to the fairing stay. I will epoxy them as well in a few days.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Looks like it's coming along pretty good. I'll look around and if I have any lightly used (crashed) parts you might be able to use for spares. I know I have some fairing stays and engine covers that I can't use but you might be able to.

I just got invited to a free trackday at Mid-Ohio this year so looks like I'll be giving it a try.

#8 ·
Ferris said:
Looks like it's coming along pretty good. I'll look around and if I have any lightly used (crashed) parts you might be able to use for spares. I know I have some fairing stays and engine covers that I can't use but you might be able to.

I just got invited to a free trackday at Mid-Ohio this year so looks like I'll be giving it a try.
I think ya get hooked. just think of all the resources you have to put one on the track. heck you could try every make and model. looks like you've sold a wide assorment in the last year or so.

#9 ·
I'm waiting on some parts before I post any updates. I got my Galfer brake lines yesterday. I'm still waiting on the race body, seat, Jardine RT-ONE exhaust (Christmas gift from my wonderful wife), and K&N filter. I'm still looking to get grips, rearsets, levers, and steering dampner and a new set of Michelin pilots. I guess I have a few more months so I will be able to find some more online deals. Later.

#10 ·
Ferris said:

Sounds great Ferris. Drop me a PM if you find anything. I hope we hit Mid-Ohio this year. It's on my list of things/tracks to do.

#11 ·
My I just sold most of what your looking for (damper, pazzo levers, votrex rearsets, and some other stuff). Only good stuff I have left you could use is a set of billet tech case covers and 2 new Bridgestone 002 race tires (rear only). I've got 2 sets of damaged race glass you can have that came off an 03-04 bike. You could get them to fit but they are a little ruff.

So far I've deliberately kept myself off the track on a bike. I've got tons of road course experience on the kart and it was fun but I just can't afford to do it at the level I used to anymore. But I'm not going to turn down a free trackday.

Yeah, I've had several bikes this year. I've had 8 600rr's alone and still have one left.

#13 · (Edited)
Ferris said:
Myke would you want to trade your lockset. I've got the ignition and matching gascap but no truck lock and could use a matching set. Let me know thanks.
I could do that. I don't need the rearseat lock with a race body.

#14 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally got the bodywork. I didn't like it so I sold it and bought a full kit from E-Racing. I just ordered it today so it will be a week or so. I am still waiting on the exhaust and K&N, which were on backorder. They should be here next week. I ordered some sprockets and a chain. Vortex 520 (-1, +2) black sprockets with a RK gold chain. I also ordered a set of rearsets today. My grips came but are too loose on the bars so I will look for some others.****UPDATE..... I had the grips reversed... they fit fine****My seat came in as did my clear windscreen.

#15 ·
Myke said:
Ok, I finally got the bodywork. I didn't like it so I sold it and bought a full kit from E-Racing. I just ordered it today so it will be a week or so. I am still waiting on the exhaust and K&N, which were on backorder. They should be here next week. I ordered some sprockets and a chain. Vortex 520 (-1, +2) black sprockets with a RK gold chain. I also ordered a set of rearsets today. My grips came but are too loose on the bars so I will look for some others. My seat came in as did my clear windscreen.
sounds like a good christmas too me. my grips had sfety wire spaced along the grips. this made for a very snug fit and you couldnt feel it on the grips.

#17 ·
if you can weld.........why didnt you make yourself a hoop style subframe?

Sweet find on the cosmetic RR.........Im still looking for one.

#18 ·
hybrid said:

I can weld and fabricate. Being a pipefitter does have many benefits. (you should see the roll cage in my mustang) I got a super good deal on the stock subframe so I jumped on it.

#19 ·
I got my rearsets and new bodywork today. The body is a lot more flexible than the first set and the finish is better. I will start fitting everything soon but now I am working 7-11's so my free time is limited for a while. I'll post some more pics soon. Layda.

#20 ·
hybrid said:

hey hybrid, what do you use to trim and cut your fiberglass bodywork or the hand laid glass stuff you do? I'm wanting to cut my race lower bottom and put a light (not round) in to the front fairing.

#21 ·
Well I had the day off so I started messing around with fitting the body. Sure makes one appreciate the fit of stock plastics! It's a long way from being fit. I installed the rearsets and adjusted them to stock locations to start with. They are fully adjustable but I will make adjustments at the track. My Jardine exhaust looks great, almost too good for a track bike. I have a 520 conversion (-1,+2 ... Vortex black sprockets, RK Gold XSO chain) that I will be installing soon. Also Galfer lines and pads, renthal superbike grips, K&N filter, Rizoma rear brake reservoir, and some other odds and ends. I need to pick up some quick fasteners (like d-zus) or something to finish mounting the body panels. Anyway just a quick update. Layda.

Attachments

#22 ·
nice start. I have the same rearsets my gsxr600. just make sure you locktite the allen bolt on the inside of the footpeg. mine came loose from vibrations several times before the locktite. besides that I am very happy with rearsets. what glass did you go with. I have used several types of race glass and If you save $$ on the glass, you end up spending alot of time on modifying it.

#23 ·
singletrackmind said:
nice start. I have the same rearsets my gsxr600. just make sure you locktite the allen bolt on the inside of the footpeg. mine came loose from vibrations several times before the locktite. besides that I am very happy with rearsets. what glass did you go with. I have used several types of race glass and If you save $$ on the glass, you end up spending alot of time on modifying it.
Thanks for the loctite tip. The body is from E-Racing.

#25 ·
Got my Pazzo levers and Dzus fasteners this week. I mounted my Exhaust and K&N last weekend. I ordered a set of Pilot Powers also. I hope to do some more work tomorrow. Sundays are my only day off so my time working on it is limited. I think I am getting a 6x12 enclosed trailer next Sunday. WooHoo!!:banana

#26 ·
Myke said:
Got my Pazzo levers and Dzus fasteners this week. I mounted my Exhaust and K&N last weekend. I ordered a set of Pilot Powers also. I hope to do some more work tomorrow. Sundays are my only day off so my time working on it is limited. I think I am getting a 6x12 enclosed trailer next Sunday. WooHoo!!:banana
what no props for finding it :cry j/k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.