Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
hummmmmmmm... yeah i've used that method but damn that completely disguisting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fortunately our bike doesn't work while in side or central stand.. if a gear is engaged... so.. that is hard to happen.... unless you lift it up.

When I have to lube my chain, I put the oil on the inside of the chain... move it a bit forward, lube again.. and so on....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oops

Common sense lost that battle.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Megatron said:
Fortunately our bike doesn't work while in side or central stand.. if a gear is engaged... so.. that is hard to happen.... unless you lift it up.

When I have to lube my chain, I put the oil on the inside of the chain... move it a bit forward, lube again.. and so on....
No, it will engage on the center stand. At least it does on my bike. When I tightened my chain last weekend I did that to check for chain whine and it certainly was spinning away. (which BTW was not accurate. My chain ended up being too tight and was making quite the noise when I actually road it.)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Then I was lied to! LOL!

Thanks for the input, Laimbeer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Megatron said:
Then I was lied to! LOL!

Thanks for the input, Laimbeer.
You are correct about the side stand, though. :)

I should also mention that if you do put it on the center stand and engage a gear, do not give it a lot of throttle input. There seems to be enough tourque to push the bike forward if you release the throttle that the bike could rock off of the center stand.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I do my chain on the center stand, and I'm not going to change. I think I do a better job in less time. But I am going to be REALLY careful from now on!

·
Registered
169 Posts
laimbeer said:
You are correct about the side stand, though. :)
I had better be! My FZ6-N doesn't have the central stand!

Hehehe!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
That almost happened to me, but instead, it ate up my rag I was using. Never again will I use that method, at least not with the engine on at idle.

This thread sounds familiar...

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I'm not sure how that happened, there's no explanation.

I lube on the side stand, with the engine off, and turn the wheel with my free hand.

I have been known to gun it in first gear to 3000 rpm or so for a few seconds to work it in, though. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How do you turn a wheel with one hand while it's on the side stand? My, you're really strong.

My guess- he was wiping with a rag, but didn't manage to let go in time, as almost happened to Hams51. My high school shop teacher was a real hard ass about shirt-tails, pony tails, rings, anything that could possibly catch. He had a very good safety record in the class, but was missing fingers on each hand. I still think about that when I approach anything with a running motor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
karst said:
How do you turn a wheel with one hand while it's on the side stand? My, you're really strong.
You can lean the bike against your body, and use a rubber band on the front brake to prevent the wheel from rolling. Use your left side of the body to withstand the bike... just be careful with the side stand...

And with the right hand... roll the rear wheel and lube it in parts..

Yep... it's tricky and leaves you tired.. that is why I do it the other way!

·
Registered
169 Posts
segue00 said:
What's wrong with the center stand, did you remove it?
Nope... the FZ6-N does not come with a center stand... only the FZ6-S does.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
segue00 said:
What's wrong with the center stand, did you remove it?
I never use my center stand .... we just don't get along :lol That's how I dropped my bike, was trying to get it off the center stand & lost my balance and down she went :rolleyes before I ever use the centerstand again I want someone here to hold up the back of the bike while i practice. If I was just a few inches taller .......
So anyway, when I clean/lube my chain I use the swingarm stand from my first bike, works just as well. I just put it up on that stand and spin the rear wheel with my hand, but I don't even have the bike running while I'm doing it.
Since I usually just came back from a ride the chains already warm.
Also, whenever I use the rear wheel stand I always put something on the brake lever to hold the lever down .... usually 2 zip ties zipped together into a loop. That way the bike can't move all that easy since the front brakes are engaged ....... makes it a little safer when your working on it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I meant center stand! I'm at work... my attention is divided at best. :)

karst said:

My guess- he was wiping with a rag, but didn't manage to let go in time, as almost happened to Hams51. My high school shop teacher was a real hard ass about shirt-tails, pony tails, rings, anything that could possibly catch. He had a very good safety record in the class, but was missing fingers on each hand. I still think about that when I approach anything with a running motor.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Well, Megatron's explanation made sense too, but I can just see myself pinned under the bike, after loosing it on my sloped drive. I'll stick to the center stand, engine off for cleaning, first gear with the little spray straw for lube. Wouldn't want to chip a nail.

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
Megatron said:
Fortunately our bike doesn't work while in side or central stand.. if a gear is engaged...
Might want to double check before this happens to you. I generally put my bike on the centerstand and idle it in first while Im spraying the lube. Needless to say my fingers dont get anywhere near the moving chain or sprockets.

So contrary to your statement, it will run engaged on the center stand.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts