Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing more and more posts, authors MOD sections in the signature areas showing that a lot of you have removed the CAT from the exhaust system. Why? Does it improve performance or do you just not like being environmentally friendly :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it's anything like the R1 catalytic converter, there is virtually no performance advantage in gutting or removing it.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, it's just so many have done it, was just wondering.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you removed yours Dan you'd have to make sure the new link pipe was Blue!
S

·
Registered
910 Posts
People looking for cheap HP. Many have done it on the R1 too, but there really haven't been any gains.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stunts said:
If you removed yours Dan you'd have to make sure the new link pipe was Blue!
S
I'm never gonna escape that am I :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Step away from the cat

·
Registered
341 Posts
From what i heard, you gain a few horsepower.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Aburke27 said:
From what i heard, you gain a few horsepower.
It's made up.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
sound

·
Registered
164 Posts
Replacing the cat with the cat-free arrow link pipe made the acceleration feel crisper. Not gotta clue about the hp figures, but felt a definite improvement. The arrow link pipe fitted my Akra's and the stock headers perfect. Dan, thought your lazer extremes came with the link pipe to replace the cat, no?

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, they're just slip ons.

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ton up, where'd you get your arrow from anyways?

·
Registered
910 Posts
tonupkid said:
Replacing the cat with the cat-free arrow link pipe made the acceleration feel crisper. Not gotta clue about the hp figures, but felt a definite improvement. The arrow link pipe fitted my Akra's and the stock headers perfect. Dan, thought your lazer extremes came with the link pipe to replace the cat, no?
Without before and after testing, there is no definite improvement that can be concluded. More likely analogous to a placebo effect. But a placebo effect feels just like the real thing. :)

·
Street racing hooligan
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eyespy said:
Without before and after testing, there is no definite improvement that can be concluded. More likely analogous to a placebo effect. But a placebo effect feels just like the real thing. :)
lol thanks for everyones input :beer

·
Registered
164 Posts
Eyespy said:
Placebo effect?? :lao Didn't fit the cat-free link pipe until a couple of months after fitting the Akrapovic cans, so was in a position to know what it felt like before cat removal and after cat removal :bitchslap
Could really feel more low down tug. A grin factor moment :D
Dan, got it from B and C express, Arrow: Middle joint for stock collectors, as Arrow call it, part no: 71272MI about 60 quid inc. vat and next day deliv.
One word of warning though Dan.........
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
...............They dont do it in blue! :cheers

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It was suggested to me this morning that the cat can be a safety issue in a crash- imagine what a 3K degree piece of material can do if it lands on you. This was presented to me as the reason that California actually doesn't (!!!) require cats on bikes. I have no idea if that's true or not.

·
Registered
910 Posts
tonupkid said:
Placebo effect?? :lao Didn't fit the cat-free link pipe until a couple of months after fitting the Akrapovic cans, so was in a position to know what it felt like before cat removal and after cat removal :bitchslap
Could really feel more low down tug. A grin factor moment :D

That's why it's called the placebo effect. And if there was a real effect, it would be at top end, not down low. Placebos are amazing, aren't they :lao

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
karst said:
It was suggested to me this morning that the cat can be a safety issue in a crash- imagine what a 3K degree piece of material can do if it lands on you. This was presented to me as the reason that California actually doesn't (!!!) require cats on bikes. I have no idea if that's true or not.

It would seem to me that, in a crash that would tear apart a cat and have those pieces flying about, having a piece of it land on you would be the LEAST of your concerns.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yah, that was my first thought. It's shielded, right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts