Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my cans in the near future i will cf cans. I would like to know if I also replace the pipe that has the cat converter, what will I gain and what does it entail. I know it is probably illigal in California, but how would anyone find out? I am also installing a power commander tomorrow.
Would the bike have mor power without the cats? Will it hurt the bike in any way? Will Yamaha know will yamaha know when it goes in for service(if they are not looking speciffically for it)?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Cavi said:
I am going to replace my cans in the near future i will cf cans. I would like to know if I also replace the pipe that has the cat converter, what will I gain and what does it entail. I know it is probably illigal in California, but how would anyone find out? I am also installing a power commander tomorrow.
Would the bike have mor power without the cats? Will it hurt the bike in any way? Will Yamaha know will yamaha know when it goes in for service(if they are not looking speciffically for it)?

Kalifornia? Who cares? You will not gain anything by removing the cat (iun and of itself) it does not restrict exhaust flow. This is 2004 not 1978 :)

Your sealer will know if they stick a gas analyzer in the tail pipe. Other than that they probably will not notice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i have hollowed my converter out and have had no ill effects and a seat of the pants more power. i have seen dyno graphs posted with 2-3hp gain from replacing the converter so it is not a true free flowing converter like some have implied. i have also read the engine is efficient enough to pass a sniff in ca. without a cat. if you were not worried about the sniff in ca. i would just hollow the converter out and put the 120 dollars to something else.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think in many states, it is illegal to modify the emissions equipment.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'll only void the warranty on the exhaust system, not the whole bike. The FTC made that decision about 15 years ago. Some states don't do inspections or emissions testing so if you live in one, go for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts