Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I read through it, he sounds pretty happy, I wish him the best. I just wonder if he really has enough money to make it through the rest of his life. He needs to capitalize while people still know who he is and get a nest egg going.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wonder if he really has enough money to make it through the rest of his life. He needs to capitalize while people still know who he is and get a nest egg going.
Dude has made MILLIONS in racing, testing and through endorsements. If he hasn't managed to save enough to get him through for countless years then he deserves to be broke and homeless.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
He did the right thing. I think either him or MM would be dead already if he was still in MotoGP. He always pushed it to the very edge and so does MM. If they raced eachother one of them would push even harder and end it.

No I am obviously not saying he quit because he was scared of MM. Just saying that if he did stay what I think the situation would be.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
He did the right thing. I think either him or MM would be dead already if he was still in MotoGP. He always pushed it to the very edge and so does MM. If they raced eachother one of them would push even harder and end it.

No I am obviously not saying he quit because he was scared of MM. Just saying that if he did stay what I think the situation would be.
Why would one be dead? Because they'd crash? What makes a crash while being hyper-competitive more deadly than a crash due to any other reason? Nah...

After reading his post.... He's a weird dude. He seems to be almost supernaturally talented at something he's completely ambivalent about. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. I can't really imagine not being passionate about my job. Whatever makes him happy, though. I just wish we could watch him race Marquez.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Why would one be dead? Because they'd crash? What makes a crash while being hyper-competitive more deadly than a crash due to any other reason? Nah...

After reading his post.... He's a weird dude. He seems to be almost supernaturally talented at something he's completely ambivalent about. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. I can't really imagine not being passionate about my job. Whatever makes him happy, though. I just wish we could watch him race Marquez.
True it wouldn't have to be dead however I feel one of the 2 would have nasty wrecks every race and possibly both. I wouldnt mind seeing them mix it up.... it would be good racing I am sure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It would be Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez at the front, every race, battling each other to the bitter end. If you thought 2013's one-on-one duels have been good, add another speeding maniac to it and stir.

I'm getting a stiffy just thinking about it.

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
It would be Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez at the front, every race, battling each other to the bitter end. If you thought 2013's one-on-one duels have been good, add another speeding maniac to it and stir.
THIS :agree

Not going to lie, I am a fan of Stoner (when racing, never paid attention to him while off the track)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I cannot imagine being so apathetic to something I was so talented at.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I kind of understand why people say this, but its just spectator talk. I hate that we call it "Talent" when in actuality its a skill people pour there entire lives into. Nobody is born with an ability to ride a bike fast, they're instilled with a work ethic, competitive nature, and drive. Add to that, opportunity. All of those qualities will help him live the rest of his life.

He has worked harder and put more time into his craft than 99% of the people on this planet. A 28 year old with a wife and child deserves to live a different life than they did as a 16 year old if that's what they want.

Annnd im a Rossi fan..

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Some of it really is just talent. Look at guys like Troy Bayliss or Max Biaggi. Max didn't even ride a motorcycle until he was like, 19.And when he did it just clicked. Same thing with Bayliss, he wasn't one of these born to Race types, he worked in a paint shop and raced on weekends. I could devote my life to the craft and never be as good as these guys were naturally.

Reactions: Dem0nDuck

·
Registered
731 Posts
He also mentioned his daughter a couple times. As the father of a two year old, I can tell you that riding a motorcycle before he was born never caused me any anxiety. After he was born, every time I rode I thought about the possibility of leaving him fatherless. I'm not pretending to know that being a father had anything to do with his decision, but based on my own experience, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factor.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I read through it, he sounds pretty happy, I wish him the best. I just wonder if he really has enough money to make it through the rest of his life. He needs to capitalize while people still know who he is and get a nest egg going.

According to celebritynetworth.com, he's worth about $12 million. He should be able to live very comfortably and have enough to leave his children plenty of money too if he invests properly and doesn't piss it away. He doesn't seem the type to piss away a fortune to me.

Casey Stoner Net Worth | Celebrity Net Worth

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have my own convictions on the phenomenon that is 'Talent' but that's for another thread.

I own a copy of his biography. Let's just keep it short and say that in a case of 2006, when he was in Honda's sattelite team, there was a moment where he was considered a podium threat by the Powers That Be (Rossi, Pedrosa, Hayden) whilst being nowhere near as popular as them. Popular equals marketable equals profitable. He had more than one race ruined by the tyres provided to him because they were shit - completely different from the one he chose in a free practice session. He even said ''Welcome to my world, mate'' to Rossi on his TV when Rossi crashed out of the title-decider in Valencia and blamed the tyre for being 'not the same' as the one in practice.

This kind of corrupt stringpullery occurs everywhere in the high echelons of corporations where massive concerns are at stake.

It wasn't until Ducati handed him an offer that Stoner was given a chance to show his ability and even then, even he couldn't get the thing to work properly after 2007. Politics are a HUGE deal in GP's. It's how Rossi blackmailed his way into Bridgestones for everyone mid-2008 and how he sacked Burgess.

·
B O R I C U A
1,216 Posts
He also mentioned his daughter a couple times. As the father of a two year old, I can tell you that riding a motorcycle before he was born never caused me any anxiety. After he was born, every time I rode I thought about the possibility of leaving him fatherless. I'm not pretending to know that being a father had anything to do with his decision, but based on my own experience, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factor.
Same here!

Also, I basically said the same thing back when he annouced his retirement. Stoner lost his motorcycle racing ambition the day his kid was born.

·
Registered
951 Posts
By the time you hit GP, that thing you're so talented at has become a relatively small fraction of your life. Sure, you get to race on the weekend, but in between, you're a PR rep. Go flash your smile under the sponsor logo. Glad-hand some fans. Go here, go there, go everywhere.

Being able to ride a motorcycle faster than 99.99% of the world doesn't mean you're going to automatically enjoy being a public figure. Some guys like Rossi are clearly good at both. For others like Stoner, it's a chore. And it's not hard to be apathetic about chores.

It'd be badass if I could ride a bike like any of those guys, but I'm 100% sure I would hate the PR angle.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Stoner lost his motorcycle racing ambition the day his kid was born.
I don't think he's ever lost his ambition. However, I do think being a part of the MotoGP circus (travel, PR obligations, promotions, interviews etc) helped his decision to get out.

So, basically, everything except racing forced him to retire.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
He also said that he disliked the direction that MotoGP was heading and that specifically it was moving away from prototype racing and moving toward production racing, which he was against... and I think he's 100% correct on that.

·
Forever the Man
2,901 Posts
Never was a fan of his when he raced but I am a fan in that he got out on his terms and is living life as he wants. Most of us are stuck in the work to survive mode and will be for most of our lives.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts