Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a blog post about this law that was signed in 2010 and is now in effect as of 2013. Pretty much, for new bikes manufactured after 2013, you need to keep the stock exhaust. I'm assuming this was the law before, but now enforcement is easier - the police only need to check for the EPA sticker.

I'm from CO and ride with a stock exhaust, but I would be annoyed about a law based on having a sticker. If loud exhausts is really a problem, then equip police with DB meters so they can prove it objectively. Denver has this law in CO, but I heard it is rarely enforced.

§ 27202.1. Motorcycle exhaust system labels; penalties; proof of correction; scope

(a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person shall not park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of California, that does not bear the required applicable federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system label pursuant to Subparts D (commencing with Section 205.150) and E (commencing with Section 205.164) of Part 205 of Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section shall be considered a mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle solely on a suspicion of a violation of this section. A peace officer shall cite a violation of this section as a secondary infraction.

(b) A violation of this section is punishable as follows:

(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

(c)(1) The notice to appear issued or complaint filed for a violation of this section shall require that the person to whom the notice to appear is issued, or against whom the complaint is filed, produce proof of correction pursuant to Section 40150.

(2) Upon producing proof of correction to the satisfaction of the court, the court may dismiss the penalty imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) for a first violation of this section.

(d)(1) This section is applicable to a person operating a motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013.

(2) Penalties imposed pursuant to this section are in addition to penalties imposed pursuant to any other applicable laws or regulations.

(3) This section does not supersede, negate, or otherwise alter any other applicable laws or regulations.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In addition, this section:

(d)(1) This section is applicable to a person operating a motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013.

is more applicable to CA riders. You can't install an aftermarket exhaust made after 2013 on your bike (any year). Probably very difficult to enforce, but ouch!

·
Registered
507 Posts
In addition, this section:

is more applicable to CA riders. You can't install an aftermarket exhaust made after 2013 on your bike (any year). Probably very difficult to enforce, but ouch!
I don't agree with your conclusion. It seems to me that an old bike with a new exhaust needs to have an "approved" sticker on it. So, like cars, your aftermarket parts need a C.A.R.B. sticker on it, or you can be cited. The exhaust manufacturers will have to pay extra to get CARB certified, but that's all.

- John

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
We have nobody but ourselves to thank for this kinda shit.....or more accurately all the assholes that put exhausts on their bikes that are so fucking loud that everybody we pass looks at us in disgust and then petitions our lawmakers to write laws like this. Good job guys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't agree with your conclusion. It seems to me that an old bike with a new exhaust needs to have an "approved" sticker on it. So, like cars, your aftermarket parts need a C.A.R.B. sticker on it, or you can be cited. The exhaust manufacturers will have to pay extra to get CARB certified, but that's all.

- John
You're right, but the effect would be the same. CA has a 80 db limit. I don't know of any aftermarket exhaust that is that low, and there is no point in installing one that complies with the law because the stock exhaust is usually near the legal db limit.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
you'll start to see the larger exhaust manufacturers offer exhausts that are just as sleek as the other ones, with enough baffles in there to hit 80db.

a market that large won't just dry up. despite what the gubmint thinks about controlling it.

One more reason that, for now, Canada rocks (as long as stephen harper is booted as quickly as possible. sneaky fuck)

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
you'll start to see the larger exhaust manufacturers offer exhausts that are just as sleek as the other ones, with enough baffles in there to hit 80db.

a market that large won't just dry up. despite what the gubmint thinks about controlling it.

One more reason that, for now, Canada rocks (as long as stephen harper is booted as quickly as possible. sneaky fuck)
Most bikes at full tilt are actually louder than 80db. Check out the noise tests from an iron butt rally.

Stock harleys tend more toward 100db...box stock.

Not to mention that if its an older bike with a fiberglass muffler if you haven't had it repacked, its WAY WAY over any legal noise limit.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Most bikes at full tilt are actually louder than 80db. Check out the noise tests from an iron butt rally.

Stock harleys tend more toward 100db...box stock.

Not to mention that if its an older bike with a fiberglass muffler if you haven't had it repacked, its WAY WAY over any legal noise limit.
The EPA sound reg is at something like 2k RPM read from something like 20' at a 90* angle to the exhaust, so we're looking at nearly an idle.

The CA law was signed by a (supposed) motorcyclist - Arnold Schwarzenegger, who rides a Hardley.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
We have nobody but ourselves to thank for this kinda shit.....or more accurately all the assholes that put exhausts on their bikes that are so fucking loud that everybody we pass looks at us in disgust and then petitions our lawmakers to write laws like this. Good job guys.
Ill take it a step further. There are too many idiots who put their bikes as a show and do it in areas that gets them too much attention. Ive had after market mufflers and loved it but not onky do I understand im for this law now. If youre into motorcycling for the show then piss on u and your spotlight. Ca needs strong leash laws because there are too many stray dogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
NYC has a similar law, and they actually have ticketed parked bikes because the Exhaust says "race use only" right on them.

There are already certified exhausts available, Europe has been dealing with it for years.. this is more about the government division generating income and justifying existence than anything.. if a company will spend the money to attain certification. Once they do that, they can sell the exhaust.. And the rider can run it legally. What do you think all the AIS type systems are? They don't improve emissions, just improve test results.. and the Government workers who approve/accept that aren't that stupid.

BUT - if this California law specifically states "STOCK", the Manufacturers might have to offer models with "Stock" exhausts that are an upgrade.. like an "R" Model

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
The EPA sound reg is at something like 2k RPM read from something like 20' at a 90* angle to the exhaust, so we're looking at nearly an idle.

The CA law was signed by a (supposed) motorcyclist - Arnold Schwarzenegger, who rides a Hardley.
Yeah, I ran afoul of Denver's stupid law.

They made me damn near redline the bike till it failed. $500 fuck you very much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
NYC has a similar law, and they actually have ticketed parked bikes because the Exhaust says "race use only" right on them.
That law was introduced into City Council, but wasn't adopted. Personally, I despise excessively loud bikes and the morons who feel the need to bounce off the rev limiter as they cruise along in traffic. Mostly because it reflects badly on all riders

My problem with these laws is that they discriminate against motorcycles only. To be fair, cars should have the same requirement, even though tuners with aftermarket pipes are a small fraction of cars.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I never did understand why anyone not actively racing would spend all that time and money to change the exhaust. Call me Captain Clueless, I won't mind. The one that came with the bike works just fine, and if you really need a bike to go faster than mine already does you're compensating for something.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I never did understand why anyone not actively racing would spend all that time and money to change the exhaust. Call me Captain Clueless, I won't mind. The one that came with the bike works just fine, and if you really need a bike to go faster than mine already does you're compensating for something.
Most people buy vehicles for image. Look no furthwr than shiny full size picku p tru cks and how on ly the tacoma and chevy make small trucks today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
357 Posts
Loud exhausts are part of the thrill of sport-bikes, but only if one has the sense to keep the revs down until out on the open road. Let's face it; the lard-assed bureaucrats who have the power to pass laws hate it when someone else is having fun and they are not. They run their loud ride-on lawnmowers (that sound like an airplane taking off), leaf-blowers, chain saws, pressure-washers, power edgers etc for hours on end but complain cos a loud bike goes by for 20 seconds. Gimme a break.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most of this image stuff is preference, if someone wants to ride without a helmet, butt nekkid on a pink stretched out hayabusa in flip flops I say let em.

Those loud pipes are obnoxious and serve no real purpose but to scream "look at me". Problem is they wake me up when I'm trying to sleep and just generally piss everyone off. Really, no one wants to hear that crap.

On the bright side, we can still split lanes legally.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My problem with these laws is that they discriminate against motorcycles only. To be fair, cars should have the same requirement, even though tuners with aftermarket pipes are a small fraction of cars.
Cars and trucks have already been subject to a similar law, the exhaust system has to have a tag stating that it meets CARB rules.

I have no problem with this law, there are way to many people with very loud exhaust.

Harley-Davidson exhaust from the factory meets EPA sound rules, it's the guys that run open exhaust that are loud.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts