Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Coconut Man
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to talking with a neighbor last night. Asked her where to get some saddle soap for my leathers (it's been awhile). She says she uses WD40 on all her tack gear for all her horse stuff and doesn't use saddle soap anymore. Says it works great. Doesn't degrade or destroy the harnesses or saddle. I'm somewhat skeptical about spraying my $800 life saving leathers with WD40. Anyone want to pitch in on this?

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
I use lemon Pledge. It has worked just fine for me for a very long time. My racing leathers are officially the ugliest on the track. They have served well over time, and they keep holding up. Pledge even smells good, unlike what my leathers would smell like if they were just left alone. Vanson may have recommended that stuff for a while, but that might be a wives tale.

My leathers got an accidental 5W-10 bath when my motor blew a few years ago. That made them smell like a hot crankcase, but it didn't seem to do any damage otherwise. I don't plan to make a habit of that, though.

After all that, I still wouldn't use WD-40.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
WD-40 is not and never has been meant to be a "lubricant".

It is however an excellent water disperser.

·
The Coconut Man
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I use lemon pledge on my helmet and to add that shine to my bike. I've just always used saddle soap for my leathers from advice in another online forum (triumph rat.net). I doubt very much I could ever spray my leathers with WD40. Seems like sacrilege. Sort of like a dog pissing on a car tire.......

·
Short Yellow bus rider
223 Posts
I use lemon Pledge wipes for the visor, leathers and quick wipe of the bike. Works well and smells nice.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Lexol for me for leathers. As for me, I spent a long time walking around smelling like wd40 or any other Dino product I bathed in that day. My least favorite was burned 90 weight.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
WD-40 is not and never has been meant to be a "lubricant".

It is however an excellent water disperser.
It most certainly is a lubricant. It is designed and marketed as such.

Straight from their website:

WD-40® Multi-Use Product protects metal from rust and corrosion, penetrates stuck parts, displaces moisture and lubricates almost anything. It even removes grease, grime and more from most surfaces.
On their "list of 2000+ uses" webpage, the word "lubricate" is mentioned 643 times, which means 32% of the listed uses of WD-40 are for lubrication purposes.

http://wd40.com/img/WD-40_2000_uses.pdf

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
As far as I'm concerned though, I wouldn't want my leathers (and thus my body) smelling like WD-40.

I've moved from leathers to textile, and the only leather gear I wear are my boots, and they get treated with mink oil.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Just because it IS one, does not mean its a GOOD one.

Also, leather care is....

Terrible. I ain't kidding, its really bad.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I care for my leathers by asking about their day, listening, and empathizing.

Sorry, couldn't resist, but honestly I don't do anything for my jackets. As for my suit, haven't worn it in years, might have used some lexis, and I once heard to use lubriderm, but I can't back that up.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Just because it IS one, does not mean its a GOOD one.

Also, leather care is....

Terrible. I ain't kidding, its really bad.
I've used WD-40 for many years on many different things. As far as a good all-around cleaner and lubricant, it's pretty darn good. There are certainly better lubricants, better cleaners, better water dispersers, etc. But, it's hard to beat the versatility of WD-40.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I use Nut Buster. Better at everything.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
Leather cleaner and conditioner. Can't remember what brand, I doubt there is that big a difference. I have to regularly clean my white leather jacket. Remind me not to buy any more of those (but it was cheap and goes with my bike!).

·
The Coconut Man
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys crack me up with your comments, especially about talking to your leathers! Hahaha! Seriously though, it sounds like WD 40 wins the lube contest and I should stick to leather cleaning products for my second skin.
Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I use saddle soap on my leather still although I've switched to a spray-on saddle soap I found at Tractor supply. Much easier to use and keeps the leather just as soft and clean

·
Registered
12,402 Posts
Clean? Leathers? What a concept! My leathers are more than 10 years old and have hit asphalt more than once. They don't do clean. Those are my racing leathers. My street leathers have stayed vertical for the most part, but they are well over 15 years old and have been through all kinds of rain, bug swarms, heat, and everything else. At some point, you give up on clean and go for functional. It still trust them and the cow is still dead. As long as I keep them in good, if ugly, condition, I'm very happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts