Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a college student very iterested in motorcycles. i have been riding for about 2 and a half years and love both riding an working on my bike. i can service most things myself and if i cant i ususaly watch a mechanic do it and i can usually then repair it myself. i would really like to make a carrer of compeditve motorcycle racing. i would like to ride but i many people are better riders than myself so i have no problems fixing and tunning bikes. i just like to be around stuff like that. problem is that i ride alone most of the time, none of my close friends rie bikes, and i am fairly young and broke. i was wondering what types of jobs, schools and traing are there of the different types of jobs in motorcyle racing. what would be the best way to get into this career?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
start going to trackday's........

·
Registered
912 Posts
Check out MMI(Motorcycle Mechcanics Insitit.) in Phoenix arizona. Best mech. school out there. They also provide financial aid as well

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
rthur002 said:
i am a college student very iterested in motorcycles. i have been riding for about 2 and a half years and love both riding an working on my bike. i can service most things myself and if i cant i ususaly watch a mechanic do it and i can usually then repair it myself. i would really like to make a carrer of compeditve motorcycle racing. i would like to ride but i many people are better riders than myself so i have no problems fixing and tunning bikes. i just like to be around stuff like that. problem is that i ride alone most of the time, none of my close friends rie bikes, and i am fairly young and broke. i was wondering what types of jobs, schools and traing are there of the different types of jobs in motorcyle racing. what would be the best way to get into this career?
1st...Did you know this site has a South Florida forum and a Florida forum?..There are group rides almost weekly, you just need to post up and get in the loop...There's a ton of cool people in your area, and some of them race CCS...

2nd...To really get in the sport, I hope you have alot of money...You need to start doing track days quite often (Homestead is near you) ...That means track fees (Over $100.00 per day)...New tires each time you ride ($300.00 plus some)...Race plastics ($500-$1000)...Leather suit ($400-$2000)...Race boots ($200)...Race gloves ($150)...Gas (always changing price)...You get the picture...

3rd...You have to go to a race school...At certain schools, once you pass, you're eligible to get your racing license to race CCS...There's quite a few here on the board that do it...Just check the FL and S FL forums...We've got plenty of racers...Some of the mods even do CCS...

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Like most other professional sports, very few make a lot of money racing. The manufacturer sponsored team riders are the exception. Going to track days and then racing school is a good way to break in. Otherwise, hang out at tracks during amateur or semi-pro racing and talk to people. Maybe someone will eventually need some help and give you a chance working on a bike once they get to know you.

I don't think that mechanics at dealerships make a whole bunch. If you're interested in that route, try some independent shops in your area. May not be a bad start for someone in your situation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the imput so far. i would really like to be just part of the team, as racing seems too expencive right now. i was figuring if i could work on them myself i might be able to race a few track days. but as of now working on them and learned how the track works is what id like to do. there must be some money involved if racing is so expencive?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I tried getting into racing my second year of riding. A racer that befriended me gave me this advice... "The only way to make a small fortune racing, is to start off with a large one".

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go to Motorcycle Mechanics Institute and get a good foundation of knowlege. After that, hopefully you will be working in a shop. That is the time to offer your services to local racers at the track, just for the pit experience. Anything after that will depend on how aggressively you want to pursue the big time teams. I wish you luck. They say having a job you love is what living is all about.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Your location says Miami. I think there is a Motorcycle Mechanics Institute in Orlando, or somewhere in the north Florida area.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Isn't there a MMI in or around Daytona Beach??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alot guys, i looked at MMI and am very interested. if you don't do what you love doing in life, whats the point? thats why i ride motorcycles!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
You have to get new tires everytime you go to a trackday???

What if your bike is a dedicated track bike, use it on a track day but only wear 1/3 of the tire's life, next track day will require new tires???

Well, maybe there an aprilia RS250 will pay for itself, as its tires are a little bit cheaper.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
You have to get new tires everytime you go to a trackday???

What if your bike is a dedicated track bike, use it on a track day but only wear 1/3 of the tire's life, next track day will require new tires???

Well, maybe there an aprilia RS250 will pay for itself, as its tires are a little bit cheaper.
You don't HAVE to get new tires during each race. However, after a tire goes through a heat cycle, the compound is no longer as sticky. (Even if you use tire warmers, they'll extend the life... but they still won't be the same as brand new rubber) Most racers who do switch their tires during each race want the best available rubber so they don't have to worry about the loss of traction while competing. Again, it isn't necessary.... but for the peace of mind, it's definitely worth the $300. :dblthumb

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Tony I think you would probably shit yourself if you saw how sticky the tires are on my RS250 even after 3 full trackdays :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Tony I think you would probably shit yourself if you saw how sticky the tires are on my RS250 even after 3 full trackdays :)
Hmm..... I dunno, do they look like this by any chance? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well, if you have $450,000 lying around I'm sure you can get a shot with Yamah Gravesmotorsports in Supersport. (Thats the rumored payment that Jason Disalvo paid for the 2003 season)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts