Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 600r keeps clogging up the low speed jets. filter is clean and so is the tank. It seems to happen after sitting for about 2 weeks. Any way I can prevent this?

·
needs another beer
2,885 Posts
do u have debris in the float bowls?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 on checking and draining the float bowls. If that's not it, try running some carb cleaner in the gas (Sea Foam or Berrymans).

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Is it clogging with dirt or is the fuel evaporating and leaving deposits? If the later some of the fuel is evaporating due to heat after shutdown. The rest of the fuel then evaporates in time. Most bikes have heat shield for the carbs that prevents too much heat at the bowls. Those rubber covers over the top of the engine are there for a reason. Your best bet may be to start the bike weekly and ensure that the bowls are always full.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok how can I find out if there are cover's missing. I'm agreeing that it's the fuel leaving deposits. There wasn't any dirt of anything in the floats. Just a tannish deposit in the jets. I didn't get to do the riding I normally do this summer so it was sitting more than normal. Should I be putting sta-bil in the gas in the summer also?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Carb

Stabil works ok for keeping fuel fresh however what I have found to work best is a marine gas additive. Its OMC' 2+4 gas additive. Its available at most marine dealers (I get mine at the local Yamaha outboard dealer). It'll keep your carb/fuel system clean without ANY varnishing.... I have discovered that even with Stabil used alone, I was still getting some varnishing coming back... 2+4 is the way to go...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Stop buying the cheapest petrol you can find, buy a brand name and prefably the higher octane, always park your bike up with a full tank it reduces evaporation as well as the airgap in the tank which can lead to miosture. A disposable inline filter in the feed line/lines to the carbs just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts