Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if my carbs need sync'ing. The owners manual called for it to be checked at 600mi but I didn't want to pay the shop the $150 they were asking for it to be done. Bike has 1900 miles on it currently and was purchased last August. Here's my symptoms....

I notice acceleration hessitation between 3k and 4.5k rpm when holding the throttle more or less in the same position but enough to cause the bike to speed up. I notice hessitation holding the throttle in the same position to cruise between 4k and 4.5k rpm. Once past 5k the bike speeds up just fine. When I first start the bike in the morning, it won't hold idle until it's been fully choked for 4-5 mins. For winter storage, I simply added STA-BIL to the gas and ran it through the carbs by taking the bike around the block a few times before putting it away for the winter. I'm wondering if the carbs are dirty or need sync'ing to fix these hessitation problems. While they aren't so bad that the bike won't speed up, it barely pulls until after 5k. Sound like the carbs need syncing/cleaning? If so, could you recommend a good sync'er that I can work with myself? Can I run straight carb cleaner (like the stuff you use for your car) through the bike to try and clean the carbs up a bit?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Syncing only makes your engine run more smoothly and slightly more efficiently. It doesn't reall fix anything. Your bike sounds pretty normal, although its alway hard to diagnose over the internet. Is this a change from last year?

Your bike is highly unlikely to have developed any carb problems in its short lifetime. How long was it stored? Have you completely run the Sta-bil out yet? It may cause the symptom you describe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 04 500r. It does the same thing at the same rpm and acts just like yours after the 5000rpm spot. I've heard it is the spot just before the larger jet in the carb kicks in and our bikes are doing the best they can with the gas they're gettin'.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for your help. Many others have told me not to worry at all and just keep riding it. I ran the STA-BIL out a long time ago (600 miles on it since it was stored) and I was wondering if maybe a carb cleaner or fuel additive might be worth a try? Should I just say the hell with it and keep riding it? Do I really need to turn the fuel to OFF each time I park the bike for a few days? Thanks for your help guys :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts