Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here we go...

For those of you who have pulled and worked on your carbs you have likely found that the metal is soft and the screws are easily rounded off. The pitch of the phillips head is different than in the States, so you need to use the screwdriver that came with the bike or buy an aftermarket one with the right pitch. Even then if the screws are torqued on you risk rounding one - not fun.

I spoke with a guy who is a forum member of another board, and he had put together a kit for the carb set (allen bolts)on that bike. He is willing to do one for ours, but needs lengths on the screws. As luck would have it, the screws on the intake trumpets and float bowls are the same (I will confirm, but 99% sure). I have spares of those I can measure for him. For the diaphragm covers, the screw has a flange and is only partially threaded - I need measurements on one of those. Anyone have one they can measure for us?

Who would be interested in a kit (pending price of course). Just trying to gauge interest to see if this would be worth his while to build for us...

·
5,547 Posts
+1

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only three takers? The rest of the gang must not be into ripping into their carbs. I'd say if you *ever* plan to, do yourself a favor and get a decent screwdriver with the correct pitch or replace the phillips screws with allen head ones...

At this rate he likely would not be interested in making a kit up. I may try and do it myself, and have a few extras for those that decide after the fact they want them.

·
5,547 Posts
Come on guys a little b***** response on the subject would be appreciated. Ray and I bend over backwards and we get nothing. Yep I said nothing. Amazing!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry, dont know much 'bout my carbs. When I bought my bike, they where alrrady jetted. Its something I woud ike ta learn. I heard its expencive ta have rhem tuned.

J.Patterson

·
Registered
116 Posts
When i was cleaning my carbs and had to replace some of the screws I used metric hardware from HD. I've taken them apart after that no issues at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ray, hi there. New member to the board from t'other side of the pond ! I've just rebuilt the carbs on my '94 1100 d model and I would love to be able to get a set of socket-headed replacements for the carb top screws myself. I'm a co-admin of another board, you may have come across it - bigbikeworld.com that just deals with the b***** zx kwaks.

## EDIT - CRAP !! Just noticed you've got the 600 !! - D'oh. Is there any chance your contact would be interested in running some off if I can get enough takers ?

I'm gonna post a thread on there letting them know of your plans and I'll report back if any of my guys would like a set making up for their bikes to see if we can get enough for your mate to make a batch.

In the meantime, here are some links to pictures of measurements for the carb top screws, including the one where the Choke Cable retainer mounts.

Hope we can get enough takers because this would be a great set to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I'd post another reply here guys.......I've been in touch with a UK shop - Zed-parts.com coz they advertise Stainless Carb Screw sets, although not for the ZZR. They do actually advertsie one for the GPz1100 E models, which have a very similar carb set-up so I emailed them to see if they could make one up for the ZZR1100.

Result ! I got a reply telling me that they'll give me a price inc. P&P as soon as they can so they must obviously be able to make them up.

Might be worth giving them a call for your 600 ray ? If they won't ship internationally I can always act as the go-between if you're OK with that.

Cheers - Shaky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts