• No.

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, is it safe to use regular 10w30 car oil during break in of a sport bike ?

Yes or No..? Please explain your answer either way.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
I said NO because most sportbikes use a wet clutch and most owner's manuals will say that you are NOT to use oils that are energy conserving.

Do what the manual says. The engineers that designed the bike are smarter than you, so listen to them.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Just use a weight recommended by the manufacturer, but most 10W30 are energy conserving. Avoid that.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
As everyone else said, as long as it's not energy conserving, which 10w-30 will be. When you are talking 10w-40 or above, I've read many articles that showed there is no difference between auto and bike oils... except price. In fact, in one motorcycle specific test, Castrol (auto) out performed ALL the bike oils tested, along with the other auto oils. I'll have to see if I can dig that up...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mobil 10w40...$1.40 a qt, you can get it anywhere, and it has the SG rating..I have 13K on the Busa..hard miles...and still have the factory clutch

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
That article is also 11 years old. Try something a little more current. I buy mine more for peace of mind than anything else. Maybe the claims are hype, BUT MAYBE they aren't...

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
YammyR1 said:
That article is also 11 years old. Try something a little more current. I buy mine more for peace of mind than anything else. Maybe the claims are hype, BUT MAYBE they aren't...

Very appropriately typed... that is a big "MAYBE".
If you are in need of peace of mind, find an independent study that compares the two and that shows the motorcycle specific oil IS superior to auto oils. In all the threads of arguments that I've personally seen, no one has ever produced one. All I've ever seen was quite the opposite. Also, all the people that I know who are "in the know" (and don't have anything to sell) also say the motorcycle oils are just over priced auto oil. I'm not saying that independent study doesn't exist, but I've never seen it. I'd also think that it would be posted every time this topic came up just to bring an end to the debate.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
If you are, at least use the weight the manufacturer recommends...

Also, do a search, people on this board commit suicide over this debate topic monthly.

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
If ya got the money for the toy, then ya got the money for the right oil. Just use the manufacturers specified weight, and as far as I know all the companies have thier own brand of oil for their motorcycles. Yamalube, the honda stuff, etc....But what do I know? :bitchslap

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just use Mobile Delvac 1300 15w40 that you can buy in gallon jugs at Wal-Mart for $5. It's a diesel oil (a few extra detergents), non energy conserving, exceeds SG rating. Works great and it's cheap.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
Travis71902 said:
If ya got the money for the toy, then ya got the money for the right oil. Just use the manufacturers specified weight, and as far as I know all the companies have thier own brand of oil for their motorcycles. Yamalube, the honda stuff, etc....But what do I know? :bitchslap
I bet you the same company makes it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so far it sounds like the 10w40 pennzoil might be a good oil to use on the bike from now on ..

I'll be switching to that on the next oil change :)

WOO HOO !!

The bad part is that 6 out of 9 people think the regular motor oil is not good for the bike !! OUCH !

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Well if you don't mind the possibility of a premature clutch replacement, by all means get the automotive motor oil. As a matter of fact, mobil 1 15-50 is about $4.99 a quart. Mobil 1 racing 4T costs $50 for the gallon at my local triumph dealer. I think the clutch would pay itself after the 3rd oil change or so. I think I'm gonna switch to mobil 1 15-50, I used it when I had my "mildly" modified turbo talon and my engine internals looked great after I took the engine appart. You could even see the cross hatches on the cylinder walls from the factory honing process and that was at 120k miles!

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
TTsixxer said:
Well if you don't mind the possibility of a premature clutch replacement, by all means get the automotive motor oil.
What in the world are you basing this comment on?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
fordfasterr said:
Ok, so far it sounds like the 10w40 pennzoil might be a good oil to use on the bike from now on ..

I'll be switching to that on the next oil change :)

WOO HOO !!

The bad part is that 6 out of 9 people think the regular motor oil is not good for the bike !! OUCH !
So you took a poll, got at least one answer you wanted to hear, several that you didn't, no real concrete evidence either way (other than I do this and the world hasn't ended), and you chose to disregard the manufacturer's recommendation. Not that this is wrong, but I find it amusing. :)

If, by chance, you have 10W-30 energy conserving oil in your (non-Ducati) bike at the moment, change it NOW.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
crx81 said:
What in the world are you basing this comment on?
Well the main reason why you should use motorcycle oil is because of the wet clutch design. Bike oil supposedly have some friction modifiers or whatever to make the wet clutch perform better and last longer. By changing to normal automotive oil there *might* be a chance of your clutch needing replacement earlier in the bike's life. I would like to see hard facts of motorcycle oil vs automotive oil, I'm talking about real world testing to see if bike oil is worth being 3 times more expensive than automotive oil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RayOSV said:
......... and you chose to disregard the manufacturer's recommendation.........
The manual only says you must use 10w-40 for my 636. Nothing else really. No specifics on brand and such .... ????

How am I disregarding the manf. recs ?

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
TTsixxer said:
I would like to see hard facts of motorcycle oil vs automotive oil, I'm talking about real world testing to see if bike oil is worth being 3 times more expensive than automotive oil.
I will whole heartedly agree with you there. Someone needs to put this debate to rest once and for all with some cold, hard facts.

If the article I was speaking of truly is at least 10 years old, I would think that the new oils would only fare better than their predecessors. The only wrench I see that could be thrown into the spokes is the ingredients of the energy conserving oils. Still, anything 10w-40 and above doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I got the Pennzoil 10w40 oil :) (Yellow jug) $ 6.25 / gallon on sale at the Autoparts Store.

WOOT !

I also found out that my filter costs $ 2. less at the auto parts store than at the bike shop !

WOW !! I saved even more $$ !!!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts