Sport Bikes banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Every time someone points out the saddle bags on my VTX I say "I friggen HATE them, ugly as sin... but they are just too damn useful to remove". Yes, between backpack and bags I can carry quite a bit after a parking lost game of tetris. :D There are those few pesky impossible items though. Like the fragile 24"x24" air filter for my AC unit, and the 40lb bags of feed for my critters :(
Impossible? Nah. If the filter is a recurring item, you might be able to make a sturdy box for it, with shoulderstraps so you could wear it like a backpack. Big heavy bags of feed or cat litter or whatnot I usually just drape over the gastank, and support in place with my knees.

I finally, after using this bike daily for 19 years, got my hands on a pair of hardbags for it. I haven't fitted them up yet, but I'm looking forward to the added utility.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The hard top case I put on the duke is prob the number 1 mod I've put on any motorcycle. My backpack fits like an inside bag so when I get to work all I do is grab and go.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
I said I hate driving in the rain more than I hate riding in the rain, that means, I rather ride in the rain than drive.

Helmet, $130
Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet - Solids :: MotorcycleGear.com
Gloves, $60
Fieldsheer Apex 2.0 Gloves :: MotorcycleGear.com
Jacket, $100
Fieldsheer Infinity Jacket :: MotorcycleGear.com

That's the gear I commute in, helmet, jacket and gloves. Don't usually ride to work with riding pants and boots.

Boots $100
FirstGear Mesh Hi Boots - 2013 :: MotorcycleGear.com
Pants $80
Fieldsheer Slip On Pants :: MotorcycleGear.com

FULL gear for $480.

As I said, you can go and blow $827 on an Arai helmet
Arai Corsair V Nicky-3 Stars Helmet :: MotorcycleGear.com

But full gear for commuting can be had on the cheap.

I remember when I first came to this site, everybody said it was impossible to be bike only. I first did it, almost five years ago, had to sell my car but kept my bikes, 6 months later I had another car, which to me was just a hassle. Year and a half later that car was totalled when I was hit by a drunk driver, a blessing in disguise, decided not to buy another car and got my CBR. As of now I've been "bike only" for 3 years and save for some times I wish I had a truck to take the bike to the track, I don't see myself getting another car.

Would it be possible to come out cheaper buying boots, helmet, gloves, and a one piece instead of pants and jacket? Can a one piece be worn over regular clothes? Will it provide the same protection as a leather 2 piece, or will I need extras like shin pads and such? I saw a post about the weather proof Survivor one piece. I could look for a used one that hasn't been down. How would that fair? Can anyone recommend a different one piece?

Like I said before, I have a helmet already. It IS used and I know everyone warns against it, but the helmet is a good friend of mine's and I'm 90% sure he bought it new. He's only taken one spill and it was a lowside. Didn't hit his head and I'm not even sure if he was wearing this same helmet. Is it okay to go used as long as you know where it came from?

Also, I think the weird sleeveless armored piece I have is a back protector. If I can find it, I'll upload a picture. If I can figure out how to do that that is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
_As of now I've been "bike only" for 3 years and save for some times I wish I had a truck to take the bike to the track, I don't see myself getting another car.
3 YEARS good sh*t!!!!
I'd love to do that, except I want to have a # of different types of bikes for different occasions. If I can add a dual sport to my sport and cruise, that would be sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
You can do quality gear on the cheap. I used one jacket year round, a Joe Rocket I got on clearance for about $150. It has a ton of vents for summer use, the when it gets chilly close the vents and put the liner in, when it gets really cold, I loosen up the adjusters and wear a hoodie underneath it. The jacket is also waterproof but only in light rain, so I bought an oversized rain coat and just throw that on over the jacket in heavy rain.

I also got Frank Thomas winter pants with armor, removable liner, and they're waterproof, throw on some thermals underneath and good to go, clearance purchase for $100.

The place you're gonna want to spend real money is your hands, buy high quality gloves, crappy ones just suck to wear and are uncomfortable. I love Helds, and they're not that expensive compared to similar quality Alpinstars or Dainese.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
You can do quality gear on the cheap. I used one jacket year round, a Joe Rocket I got on clearance for about $150. It has a ton of vents for summer use, the when it gets chilly close the vents and put the liner in, when it gets really cold, I loosen up the adjusters and wear a hoodie underneath it. The jacket is also waterproof but only in light rain, so I bought an oversized rain coat and just throw that on over the jacket in heavy rain.

I also got Frank Thomas winter pants with armor, removable liner, and they're waterproof, throw on some thermals underneath and good to go, clearance purchase for $100.

The place you're gonna want to spend real money is your hands, buy high quality gloves, crappy ones just suck to wear and are uncomfortable. I love Helds, and they're not that expensive compared to similar quality Alpinstars or Dainese.

You wouldn't happen to have the name of the specific jacket would you?

When looking at pants, what kind is best? Textile? Mesh? Should I opt for leather?

Also, boots. Weatherproof? Racing? Street/Touring? Which is best for my needs?

EDIT: Found what I was looking for in the new rider section. Think I'm gonna go with the Held Evo Thrux Gloves and the Sidi Cobra boots. The boots are a bit pricey at $260 so I'm gonna look around. As far as pants and jacket, I'll be looking on craigslist for leather/textile jacket and pants. There has to be something on there for cheap.

EDIT #2: Looking at the Joe Rocket Hemp Jacket for $96. Anyone heard anything about it? Good enough? For pants, I think I've decided on the AGV Telluride. They seem to be good all-season riding pants.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I believe mine is a Joe Rocket Meteor 6. I also have the Held Evo Thrux gloves, best gloves I've ever had. You can use them as 3 season gloves, though I also have Held Air Heros I wear when it is really hot out, but the Thrux are not that hot in summer anyway.

I have a little bit of all gear, including leather and textile pants, and jackets. I mostly wear my leather and relegate the textile to cold weather duty, but if I could only have one it would be textile, it's just a lot more versatile with vents, liners, and waterproofing. Later on you can go buy leather stuff which tends to be more expensive.

For boots I usually just wear comfortable leather tactical boots, with jeans. I also use my bike for my primary transportation, and while riding boots offer more protection, regular boots are better for when you get off the bike at your destination. There are also nice looking kevlar jeans out there that are comfortable. I crash tested a pair of Shift jeans this summer and they held up.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Jackets and things are much much cheaper if you can find one being discontinued or an outgoing years model. Just be careful with that on helmets as said before, they sort of expire and an outgoing model or may already be a year old, thats a chunk of its usable life gone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Jackets and things are much much cheaper if you can find one being discontinued or an outgoing years model. Just be careful with that on helmets as said before, they sort of expire and an outgoing model or may already be a year old, thats a chunk of its usable life gone.
I found this Mens Leather Alpinestars Jacket Black, Blue, and Silver , Size 42 He'll take $125. And this Alpinestars Leather Jacket (L) vintage style Said they'd let it go for $180 but I was gonna shoot for $150.

The Black Alpine is perforated so I feel that would be better for those hot days. Thoughts?

EDIT: The helmet I have is an Element Fastrack by O'Neil. The date on the inside tag is 09/2009. Should this be replaced? The sleeveless armor piece I was talking about is a SixSixOne Soft Shell Pad. Has padding on shoulders, chest, hips, back, and also has a plastic back protector. Date on the inside tag is 10/2008. Essentially this is what it is just older model CORE SAVER - Soft Shell Pads - Moto

·
Registered
743 Posts
I wear perforated year round, even in the freezing cold, I just wear my rain gear over the top of it and it keeps the cold air out ;) Then when it gets REALLY cold I wear an insulated jump suit over my gear.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've worn perf in sleet b4.... I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. Also bud if your anything like me you'll start collecting gear like women do shoes.... I've started getting rid of mine now but at one point I had 5 jackets, 3 pairs of pants, 3 boots, 5 pairs of gloves, 2 full rain suits, 1 winter over suit, and 5 helmets.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've worn perf in sleet b4.... I wouldn't recommend it but it can be done. Also bud if your anything like me you'll start collecting gear like women do shoes.... I've started getting rid of mine now but at one point I had 5 jackets, 3 pairs of pants, 3 boots, 5 pairs of gloves, 2 full rain suits, 1 winter over suit, and 5 helmets.
GEEEZUS H CRIPES!!!!!!!!!! wish i had that problem. 1 touring suit (Stich), 1 perf leather top (part of 2pc track suit - pants got cut off - :( ), and 1 HD leather jacket that nobody can tell it's an HD :eek:nfloor

worst weather was golf ball sized hail. my arms never had so many bruises. still had fun.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Motorcycles are WAY cheaper than cars of the equivalent type. There is overlap overall -- the higher-end bikes are more expensive to buy and run than the cheaper cars. I'm sure I could run a Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris or such for less than my Ducati. But why would I want to? Any good car that's fun to drive and has any performance and niceness to it would be far more to buy and run than any but the most exotic bikes. And when you step up to the exotic bikes that cost a lot to run, they are no contest with an exotic car -- you could ride a Bimota daily for a lot less than a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Apples to apples.

PhilB
apples to apples, find me an 850 dollar bike that's cheaper to run and less of a headache to run than my dodge.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
apples to apples, find me an 850 dollar bike that's cheaper to run and less of a headache to run than my dodge.
I had several such when I was in my 20's. 1976 Honda CB360T, bought at a garage sale for $25 with helmet, added $140 of parts mostly from the junkyard, ran fine, sold it for $600. 1971 Honda CL350, found it literally buried in compost behind a house I rented a room in. Spent a weekend cleaning it, spent less than $100 on fuel lines and tires and such, rattlecanned it black, ran great. I had that one for years with very little trouble from it. I guarantee you if you're going for the as-cheap-as-possible transportation option, you can get cheaper with a bike than with a car at the bottomfeeder end of the spectrum.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
You have to learn to ride first before you go gung hoe into the fray. I know people who have been riding for two years who still haven't hit the rain yet. Granted bike only makes you think twice about running out for something you don't NEED but the reality is awful stressful to be forced to do something dangerous when you are under the gun (late for work) or its pissing rain or golf ball sized hail, super tired or go out and forget and drink one to many, any number of situations an experienced rider would be more prepared for, avoid or have the confidence to ride through with out binning it from some easy mistake. It's absolutely do-able but I wouldn't recommend dumping the car till you have gotten more comfortable on the bike.

You want to focus on technical stuff and learning how to be an urban warrior for commuting... Not worrying about the back end washing out in the monsoon.

Again. It's definitely do able... But you are going to complicate your own life unnecessarily for several months by going bike only.right off the bat.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I'll have the car until it's sold. That way, if i dont feel comfortable riding for whatever reason, ill be able to use it.

After the car is sold, it will be bike only until I can find a beater car.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts