Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car Dealer Has Buyer Arrested After Price Error - Yahoo!

Priority Chevrolet Dealership in Chesapeake, Virginia made a mistake when they sold Danny Sawyer a new Chevrolet Traverse for $5,600 less than the asking price. So what did they do when they realized this mistake? They had Mr. Sawyer arrested for theft. After spending 4 hours in lockup and getting released on bond, Sawyer did the next logical thing: he sued the dealership for 2.2 million dollars. Well, I guess it IS possible to get a good deal in this crazy world of ours...

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I'm thinking there has to be more to this story.

Nevertheless, is it really theft if you pay for an item that you have contract at for a certain price, regardless if that item is underpriced? Car dealerships are all about you signing the "buyers" contract, so if he paid what it said, then how is it theft?

I mean if he was in cahoots with the sales person/manager in an attempt to rip off the dealership, wouldn't that be fraud instead of theft?

I used to live in chesapeake, so it is always fun to hear about stories.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
I agree, Did the buyer realize the mistake, or did he honestly think he just got a great deal?

This brings up a moral question; say you’re at the mall buying jeans. 3 pair at $50 each, but the cashier misses ringing one pair up and only charges you $100. You know there are three pairs, and you know the bill should be $150. Do you say anything?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased a GM car last month that listed at 29K for 21K, I didn't get chased down by the cops yet.

As for he jeans, I wouldn't say anything.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I agree, Did the buyer realize the mistake, or did he honestly think he just got a great deal?

This brings up a moral question; say you’re at the mall buying jeans. 3 pair at $50 each, but the cashier misses ringing one pair up and only charges you $100. You know there are three pairs, and you know the bill should be $150. Do you say anything?
I'm not sure that is a adept comparison. If you walk out of the store and know that you only paid for two pairs of jeans then that is theft in my mind.

If, however, you get to the register and the sign said $50 and they rang up $15 because unknowingly to you they had the wrong tag on them from the factory, then is it wrong not to say anything? I think not, unless you did something unethical to effect said discrepancy.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
... This brings up a moral question; say you’re at the mall buying jeans. 3 pair at $50 each, but the cashier misses ringing one pair up and only charges you $100. You know there are three pairs, and you know the bill should be $150. Do you say anything?
I would, and I do. Indeed, I did this yesterday at the hardware store when the guy charged me for one of something I was buying two of.

... If, however, you get to the register and the sign said $50 and they rang up $15 because unknowingly to you they had the wrong tag on them from the factory, then is it wrong not to say anything? I think not, unless you did something unethical to effect said discrepancy.
That's a little trickier, but I'd say in that case I would also speak up, because I have information provided to me by the sign that tells me something isn't right. Now, if the sign says $15 and/or the salesperson tells me it's $15 and they ring up $15 and I bought it because I thought it was $15, and that's all wrong, then I'm fine with keeping it, because I did my due diligence, and they do have the responsibility to have some idea of what they are doing. That came up last night as well; we were at a pub with some friends, and one of the guys asked the waitress the price of the beers, and she was new and gave the wrong price, and he ordered it based on her stated price. In that case, I think the establishment is at fault, and he gets his beer for the quoted price.

My basic policy is to be as honest and ethical as I can be.

PhilB

Reactions: Menotomy and jk750

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
If, however, you get to the register and the sign said $50 and they rang up $15 because unknowingly to you they had the wrong tag on them from the factory, then is it wrong not to say anything? I think not, unless you did something unethical to effect said discrepancy.
If they are $50 jeans that have the wrong tag on them (more likely the bar code / price was entered incorrectly by the store), then it is just as wrong as not saying anything about the cashier not ringing up the third pair, especially considering what you would do if the mistake was reversed. You just moved the mistake up the chain of employees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
More here. Chevy dealer sells car for wrong price, apologizes after having buyer arrested

A Virginia man spent four hours in jail after purchasing a Chevrolet Traverse from Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. The dealer's sales staff accidentally sold the SUV to Danny Sawyer for $5,600 less than they should have, and when Sawyer refused to sign a new, more expensive contract for the correct amount, the dealership called the local police alleging the buyer had stolen the vehicle. Law enforcement then picked Sawyer up and held him for four hours before getting the situation straight.

Dennis Ellmer, president of Priority Chevrolet, says he owes Sawyer an apology on behalf of the dealership, and had intended to do right by the buyer by letting him have the vehicle at the agreed-upon price. But Sawyer's lawyer says it's a little too late for saying, 'sorry.' The briefly-incarcerated owner has filed two lawsuits against the dealer, accusing the business of malicious prosecution, slander, defamation and abuse of process. All told, the suits seek a total of $2.2 million in damages, plus attorney fees.

That $5,600 seems awfully cheap now.

The lawsuit says Sawyer originally purchased a blue Traverse on May 7, but took the SUV back the next day for a black one. The dealer's sales manager made the swap, allegedly without saying anything about a price differential between the two. Either way, Sawyer signed a final contract for around $34,000 when the vehicle he took home had an actual price of closer to $39,000. On June 15, Sawyer was taken into custody by police, but the Commonwealth dropped the charges after finding insufficient evidence to pursue the case.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I would absolutely tell them, and here is why:

A couple years ago I went to the store and bought some things including Cat litter. When I rang up the cat litter at the self checkout it rang up multiple times (2 or 3). In the process of the attendant removing the duplicated cat litter she accidentally removed it completely so I wasn't getting charged. I noticed this immediately and didn't say anything thinking "hey I just saved 16 bucks cuz this employee is an idiot."

One week later my cat gets a urinary blockage... $2,000 in emergency vet bills. Now if I had tripped in the parking lot and broken my arm I wouldn't have thought about karma at all, but it was a cat product... and then my cat got sick. Even more specifically, the illness was directly related to the product (cat litter... blocked urinary tract).

I've never been like "yeah Karma definitely exists," but after that experience I would never say "Karma is a load of shit."

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
i would and have brought up mismarked products when buying things, even if they are mismarked less exspensive.

the time i saw the largest(err, smallest?? oh you get the idea) missmarking the store let me buy them at the mismarked price because they liked my honesty.

this meant that i got a 110$ mark down on a pair of very nice size 14 track spikes.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
If they forget to ring up something, I'll definitely tell them.

There's been times where I've gotten out of the store and found that they forgot something when I look at the receipt. It's never been more than like a .40 cent plumbing fitting or something, and I'm not driving back to the store just to pay for it.

But if a sign says something and it doesn't ring up that way, I'll either insist that I get it for the marked price, or I just won't buy it. Some stores have refused, saying that the sign was for a sale that is already over... but its THEIR responsibility to pull the signs, so most places still honor it and then pull the sign down after they give you the price.

But yeah- if the cashier misses something and lets you walk out the door, even though it's the cashiers fault and you're technically not stealing (in the eyes of the law), that's just a shitty thing to do. And the cashier might get in trouble for it later if they do that kind of thing often.

But if you buy a car at a certain price, whatever it is, or exchange it with another one and they don't tell you there's a price difference (or come back to you AFTER you have already walked out with it asking for more money) then NO, you are not responsible for that.

Reactions: Ilovemyvtx

·
Believe It or Not........
5,343 Posts

I've done this on smaller items and would let the cashier know they forgot an item or two in this scenario as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The example of 3 vs 2 jeans is not what happened here.

He bought a blue car. Went back and switched to a black car. Sales agreed to that switch at equal price. Later sales regretted that decision and lied to police which led to customer's arrest.

Dealership is completely in the wrong here. If you are the customer in this case, what could have you done anyway? Given how deep the BS is at car dealers, how would you know the black car is so much more expensive?

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
reminds me of the time i prepaid for $20 in gas and the pump didnt stop at $20... I went to 20.50 and went inside and without saying anything just put 50 cents on the counter. They ran outside and where like OMG you only paid 50 cents! LOL it was quickly sorted out.

I might have made off with a full fill up but I didn't want to risk going to jail instead of work that day.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
i would ... it is a two way street. i guarantee if the cashier charges for 4 pairs instead of 3, something would be said.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts

I correct their error once, but I refuse to argue with them about it. This usually results in me keeping the "discount".

KeS

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Reminds me of a similar thread awhile back. Only this one seems to have far more ethical members posting.

:cheers

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I gurantee he was told to bring the car back. and he didn't. so hence the arrest.
which they have the right to do.

I have a buddy who was approved for a loan on a sat. the following tuesday the dealer called and said the finance co said you can't have the loan and told him if he takes off with the truck he can be arrested.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts