Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help.... i have just started to learn wheelies on my R6. I havent began to clutch them up yet (that will come soon i hope).... i have been using just the throttle. I can get it to come up pretty easy in 1st but i am having problems keeping it up there. Any advice from you guys would help....thanks...

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Is it just coming down too quick because you're running into the rev-limiter so fast? If that's the case, you probably aren't getting the front wheel high enough to be able not use soo much gas. The higher you get, the more you can get off the gas and not hit the limiter as quick. Your ultimate goal to keep the front wheel up a long time is to bring it up high enough so that you are gently rolling on the gas and backing it off in small amounts so that you stay in a fixed, small rev range, instead of constantly speeding up. When you see they guys going for miles and miles in a wheelie, they are going a steady speed and not really accelerating at all.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
You need more practice is all. The more practice you have, the more comfortable you become. The more comfortable you become, the better you know how your bike will react to height/throttle/etc. You'll figure it out and then you'll be like, "Damn! That's easy!" Just remember to keep at least one tire on the ground. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys............ I am sure i will get better with practice b/c right now my big thing is my throttle control (it is all or nothing)........ i think that is why it is coming back down so quickly. I hope i learn fast b/c i want to do standups so bad i can't stand it.... haha.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i found it easer to learn stand up whellies first the bike comes up faster and hits the balance point from there just feather the throtel

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went out today to try some stand ups...

Background... I have always done sit-downs for some reason. And I can get into second gear sometimes and do some nice wheelies for a hundred yards or so, but I freakin' watched that damn "seventyfivesouth" wheelie vid and I was like "DAMN!". Now that's a freakin' wheelie...

Anyway, I went out today and I'm trying stand-ups way out in the country. That way, if I crash noone will find me for days... 55-60 mphs in 2nd gear, about 7-8 K in revs. It feels so awkward, and I'm sure I looked like an idiot to all the farmers that saw me on their roads. I learned that it's a timing thing. Bounce and throttle on the rebound. After about 10 attempts, I could time it correctly about every 3 attempts. Then, of all things, the freakin front wheel comes up. First thing I wanted to do was sit back down on the seat. Just felt awkward. Never did pull a nice one or even come close to the balance point, but I'll keep working on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's awesome man....i am sure you will have it down with a little bit more practice, i think i am going to try stand-ups as soon as it stops raining here. I will let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
55mph on a ZX-9R? If I start a stand up on my F4i at 55mph it comes up so damn fast it scares me (I don't clutch second). Try it a lower speed, like 35 or 40mph. You might not to be able to do it this slow untill you get the technique down, but with all that torque it should come right up. It'll also come up slower at a low speed, plus you'll have more revs let bringing it up at 40 as opposed to 55. Just my .02.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Twinsen said:
You need more practice is all. The more practice you have, the more comfortable you become. The more comfortable you become, the better you know how your bike will react to height/throttle/etc. You'll figure it out and then you'll be like, "Damn! That's easy!" Just remember to keep at least one tire on the ground. ;)
I swear, before yesterday I couldn't get it up higher than 2 inches. I switched my bike to a stock pipe again, and somehow that helped me overcome the mental block of police and everyone hearing.

Today was the first time I've gotten it past 10 o clock. I have hit the balance point 30 times today, all huge wheelies. I don't know how I did it, what it was, but suddenly everything CLICKED. I hit the throttle, slipped the clutch, up it came, I didn't put it down and after that I couldn't stop busting high wheelies.

Use the clutch, you'll never get anywhere if you don't, powering is hit or miss, clutching in first will get you up every time.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
ill bet you are not staying on the gas as mu;ch as you should be. i learned first gear sit downs before moving on to second gear stand ups. neither bother me anymore...

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
get to know the rear brake, it'll help keeping them balanced, and from looping.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went out again today to practice. I really dont know what my problem is.... i mean i can bring it up pretty easily but as soon as i get up there i let off of the gas too much and it comes straight back down. I dont know if i just need to keep practicing or what... i think that i just need to work on my throttle control more... for me right now it is all or nothing once it gets in the air... any suggestions guys?? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't be scared. You need to stay on the throttle. Just do it once and the fear will go away

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I learned wheelies they were 1st into 2nd sit downs. Now that I know how to do stand ups I can't do sit downs anymore! I feel I cant see or control the bike as good as I can when I stand up on it. Oh and my stoppie attempts were pitifull :cry

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's up guys.......... i finally got some video of me learning to wheelie........ i noticed that my front wheel is only getting about 2-3 feet off the ground. This was weird to me b/c when i am on the bike it feels like it is getting ready to loop it. I think this is the reason that i let off the gas so fast. What do i do?? Do i need to grow some b***** balls and keep on the gas and bring it up some more or what?? It just feels like if i bring it up any more it is going to loop. But like i said the video is telling me different.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
You got it man if you're really getting them 2-3 feet. I know lots of dudes just told you to practice practice practice so just keep doing them every chance you get (as long as it's safe) and you will be straight.

In 2 weeks PM me and tell me you are riding them 100 yards. Work your way up. Don't push it. No problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts