Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its getting to be about the time I buy a sports bike. I have been cruising around on my 550 for about 5000 miles now and I want a sports bike. The question is simple...I am b***** guy 5'11" 250lbs and I would like to get a 600, but I think that in a year or so I would want a 1000cc bike. Where I live and work at I have access to a military base that has almost 75 miles of curvy road and the base is empty on the weekends (200 Active duty people in a 100 square mile base, about 2000 civilian employees on the weekdays) except for the deer and turkies. However, to get there I need to take a 33 mile highway ride, so I have to consider that I will be riding 65+ miles a day on it when I go to work (I am one of the civilian employees)
The question is should i just purchase a 1000cc bike and be careful (this may be a bad idea even though I feel I have excellent throttle control), get a 600 and spend the extra $$$ on mods, or get an in between bike like a GSXR-750. Right now I am leaning towards getting the 750. Anybody else have any input?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
wow....5000 miles.........you must be bad ass........

go do a trackday.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'd say a 1000cc v-twin should be in your future.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes, I am such a bad ass.............

I would like to do a track day, but I don't think the POS bike that I am now would even be allowed on the track.

Anybody out there with an intelligent reponse or does eveybody just want to flame me?

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
not trying to flame you one bit, but i know of at least one 250 bike that will take most riders at the track *cough cough firefighter cough.... anyways, smaller bikes handle better (600s) but if you are looking for power and handling, a 750 is the best

·
Registered
501 Posts
ZeuSeason said:
I'd say a 1000cc v-twin should be in your future.
i was thinking the same thing.

or the 600

No one "needs" a liter for anything. they get them cause they want them. the 600 will do what you are looking for.

or keep the bike you have. my 550 runs great and is the only one I need, I have the other bikes because i wanted them.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Get a new 600 in 2005.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
point being skippy. if it is a POS 550, then your in no way ready for a 750 or liter bike.......get a 600 or maybe 600SS, and get your skill level up......cuz you entering a whole new world w/ the bikes you've chosen.......

·
Registered
646 Posts
Not sure im in Seconding or Thirding the SV1000S Twin, but I agree. Either that, or a VFR800 or perhaps a slightly older 750.
My concern is that, even with 5000 miles on a 550 thats not a sport bike, a 600 would feel like a world of difference, nevermind a liter with its crazy throttle response. I dunno. I wouldnt even rule out a 500r just to practice on a sportier bike. just my .02

·
Registered
152 Posts
trust yourself, if you've got the money & self control, get a literbike. and if you do take that to the track, prepare to get jacked, cause even the smallest lack of concentration will fudge u up. i know too many of my buds who got 600's for their first bikes, and soon thereafter they were yearning for a literbike. but ALL my buds who ride on the track ride 600's. you can make your own theories on that. i think there are a few rare idiots on 1000's that give them such a bad name for other newbies.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Get the 750. No better bike out there. It has plenty of power and the weight and handleing of a 600. GET THE 750!!!!!!!!!!! Since you are b***** you will get bored on a 600 trust me i did in olny two days of ridding a 00' GSXR 600.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
don;t forget a turbo busa, but maybe after you get 6000mi........:lol

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
lol.....my dick is so small that i NEED a liter bike......:lol

5000mi/60mph=83hrs of riding time.....

so you've basically ridden a bike for about 2 weeks worth, do you REALLY think your skills are up to a 3/4 or liter bike?

·
Registered
569 Posts
You're an adult, decide for yourself.

Personally I'd go for a 600, because I already have a bike with open class levels of acceleration.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
robbieace said:
Get the 750. No better bike out there. It has plenty of power and the weight and handleing of a 600. GET THE 750!!!!!!!!!!! Since you are b***** you will get bored on a 600 trust me i did in olny two days of ridding a 00' GSXR 600.
I don't know what kind of riding you do but I find it very hard to belive you got bored with a 600 in two days. There is know way you can even use all the power of that bike. If you can why arnt you racing moto gp? I can understand if all you do is atraight line riding.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
dennisred69 said:
I don't know what kind of riding you do but I find it very hard to belive you got bored with a 600 in two days. There is know way you can even use all the power of that bike. If you can why arnt you racing moto gp? I can understand if all you do is atraight line riding.
well , robbice has had 2 bikes and 6000total mi in 4 years, he's a RYDA!

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
RACER X said:
well , robbice has had 2 bikes and 6000total mi in 4 years, he's a RYDA!
I see that should make me Rossi in comparison if he uses miles as a guage of how much he knows.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts