Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been a fan of motorcycles, But in the last three weeks I've caught the bug, And started seriously looking into becoming a rider, I've been looking around the streets at people on bikes and to my dismay I didn't see one single person with protective gears on besides a helmet, I mean street bikes, harleys, and anything inbetween, No summer jackets, no leather, mesh, NOTHING, Seems like the people on here are always recommending riding with their gear but I don't see it out their.
I plan on always being safe when I ride or maybe that's what people say in the beggining. Anyway just felt like posting

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
You are probably seeing a lot of commuters and 'round town guys - they usually don't feel the danger since they aren't going so fast. That may be because they are new, and otherwise ignorant of the danger or it may be because they just don't take the threat seriously at in-town speeds. They are trading safety for comfort.

Even some of the "red hot sportbike" types who preach about gear forget what they've been preaching when they are just going to work. It's weird, almost like a race car driver buckling into a 5 point harness for a race but not wearing his seatbelt in his personal car. There is a subtle logic there, but it IS twisted. That's one of the dual standards that a lot of people live with.

The main goal here, since the board is supposed to help people is to give a clear, consistent message that gear is a good thing to have.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
pretty much this whole week it has been 90+degrees with 90+% humindity and Ive been wearing jeans, my jacket and helmet, I never leave home with out em

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
I've been riding around town without my jacket, okay twice. ALWAYS wear your boots, gloves, and helmet. I don't understand why riders choose not to spend and wear $50 gloves. Palms aren't that anti-abrassive. Ankles are extremely complicated parts of the body and boots are mandatory.

Sign up for MSF and they'll teach you everything you need from gear, to riding, technique, etc. www.msf-usa.org.

·
Registered
968 Posts
We've hit triple digits for the last 8 days. It's a little on the warm side but I always wear my helmet, jacket (mesh), pants (textile), boots, gloves. I ride to work every day.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
mikem317 said:
I've been riding around town without my jacket, okay twice.

:bitchslap :squid :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
when i get my bike, i will wear gear when i am going around town or to other places, but not to and from work...being that my work is less than a block away from my house and the hours i go to and from work there isn't any traffic on the road

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I ride in town with out my jacket. If I am on the highway or going out for a ride then the gear goes on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Get used to it...when the weather hits 80+, I see maybe 1 out of every 50 bikers (seriously) wear gear. They give me a confused look when I'm riding around in 90 degree weather in a jacket/helmet/gloves/pants/boots. It amuses me just thinking about what goes through their squidly little minds at that instant.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
mikem317 said:
I've been riding around town without my jacket, okay twice. ALWAYS wear your boots, gloves, and helmet. I don't understand why riders choose not to spend and wear $50 gloves. Palms aren't that anti-abrassive. Ankles are extremely complicated parts of the body and boots are mandatory.

Sign up for MSF and they'll teach you everything you need from gear, to riding, technique, etc. www.msf-usa.org.

I'm qualified to talk about hand injuries. They fuckin suck. Anyone who thinks having a broken <insert body part here> sucks hands are far worse since they tend to take an immense amount of time to reprogram. This is assuming that after running your hands over pavement there's any tendon left to attach to.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I always wear my gear when riding, but it's not uncommon to see people w/o gear on especially around town.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just get two jackets, one mesh jacket for the summer time, and a leather with padded jacket for the fall.

I always get a laugh when i see the Female Harley Riders wearing nothing but shorts and a tank top with their tennis shoes on.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
same thing around my area. I see these rider with no gear on at all. You'd think that maybe they'd have boots or gloves, but all they wear is a helmet, t-shirt, shorts and shoes. Shit I dont' even have a bike yet, but i've already completed msf, got a helmet, gloves, boots, and a 2 piece. I guess most people around my area dress for the ride, not the crash.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
alaska cajun said:
:bitchslap :squid :bitchslap
Alaska, I already told you... I was bitten by the squid bug. I'm trying to rehab, but I'm having some mixed results here. :lao

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
mikem317 said:
Alaska, I already told you... I was bitten by the squid bug. I'm trying to rehab, but I'm having some mixed results here. :lao

:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
It's been in the upper 80's to lower 90's for the last couple of weeks, and I always wear helmet/ jacket (textile or mesh)/ gloves/ boots. Have to admit that I usually wear jeans. I don't care how hot it is, I always think of how messed-up you can get even at city speeds when some asshat cager takes you down.

Don't understand why people don't understand why people won't protect themselves.

·
Registered
182 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
when i get my bike, i will wear gear when i am going around town or to other places, but not to and from work...being that my work is less than a block away from my house and the hours i go to and from work there isn't any traffic on the road
You'd actually ride only a block? I'd either take the really long route or just walk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
gear is a personal choice... some don't care or think nothing will happen to them. Same story over and over again of people crashing and loosing skin. Its been about 100 degrees here for the last few days, and I always ride to work with my gear on. I would rather be sweaty than skinless. When I change my mind about my skin, I'll leave the gear at home.

As far as other people, I treat every other biker the same whether they wear gear or not, I'm not thier daddy. I just do what feels good to me and enjoy the ride.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
kewlnall said:
gear is a personal choice... some don't care or think nothing will happen to them. Same story over and over again of people crashing and loosing skin. Its been about 100 degrees here for the last few days, and I always ride to work with my gear on. I would rather be sweaty than skinless. When I change my mind about my skin, I'll leave the gear at home.
On the other hand, too much leather in 100 degree heat can dehydrate you quickly, serve as a distraction (too much sweat), and when you're distracted, fatigued and frustrated (e.g. in heavy stop-and-go or just stopped traffic), gear can be a safety hazard, as funny as that sounds.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts