Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exhaust can is all scratched up. Is it possible to polish it, being aluminum and all. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What I mean is take some paint remover (I personally prefer aircraft paint remover, just a personal preference) and spray the can down. TAKE THE CAN OFF OF THE BIKE, THIS COULD BE BAD IF YOU DON'T. Strip the coating off of the can, this should almost all wipe off, some places may require elbow grease. When the coating is removed completely, wash it, soap and water is fine. Get some mothers polish or never dull, (you will find some prefer one over the other) and start wiping, if you have a dremel or the like that will be to your advantage, if there are rough spots in your can, you may won't to smooth them with some fine grit sand paper, other than that you should not have to do much with sand paper and the like, JUST POLISH, POLISH, and POLISH SOME MORE.

Hope that helps, this should not be hard process, but it will take time and much effort.

God Bless

·
Registered
145 Posts
What kind of can is it? Mine's stock and it's already polished from the factory... I occasionally use NeverDull on it to help keep it looking shiny...

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
um, if u want the scratches out, dont u have to sand it down? then polish it..

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh...its just stock.
I guess I will have to use the paint stripper first, then sand it , then polish it.
Just wasnt sure if I could be polished in the first place. Always heard about frames and rims, but never cans. Im surprised more people dont do it in general then. Seems like it would make most bikes look better. Not too hard I suppose. But damned if i know, this is my first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts