• No idea, never tried

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • What's "kick starting"?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
yep. first time I ever had was when I traded my old 84 ram for an MX175 Yamaha. was not hard.

Buddy who bought the bike from me still cannot do it very well. every time we go out he ends up getting me to do it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think any of us who grew up riding dirt will be well versed in the art of the kick start. Also had to push start my track R6 at buttonwillow a few weeks ago. oops.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Yep, everything from Vespas to a Norton 750 Commando.

PhilB

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Never tried it. A guy I work with converted his Harley to kickstart only.

I've tried push starting my FZ1,couldn't get it to work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
My supermoto was kick start only with manual decompression. If you wanted to ride it you needed to learn. I've also push started most of my bikes. The first CB750 I had you could start just by walking alongside it and dropping the clutch.

I have decided that push starting a 1098 with a weak battery is impossible however.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Does a Yamaha Blaster count? Also, is it possible to pop start a fuel injected bike? I assume it is as long as the fuel pump primes.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
I have decided that push starting a 1098 with a weak battery is impossible however.
Was it the slipper clutch or the compression that did you in?

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Kick started my friend's '65 BSA once. That was quite the process...

·
Rider
101 Posts
Had a CM400A 15-20 years ago that had a kicker and riding year around here in NE Ohio I had to kick it a time or two in the winters.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Was it the slipper clutch or the compression that did you in?
Compression. 1098 doesn't have a slipper. Just locks the back tire every time. Every tenth time or so it kinda coughs and gives you hope, just to demoralize you a little more when it doesn't actually fire.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My KX500 can wear you out if it's In a bad mood. I've had it bruise my leg through my my boots and had it put the kicker through the bottom of a pair of tennis shoes. Usually it will start with one solid kick after a couple to prime it with the kill switch held... but if it's in a foul mood it can sap all your strength in about 20 kicks and make you give up for the day. When it stalls or flames out toward the end of a long ride you look to the heavens and curse whatever deity you believe in.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
The SV race bike is sold, so Mad Max the Husqvarna is getting a pal - another left kicker with no battery and flat black paint. So, two out of three bikes I own will be kick only. Two out of three will actually run. Mad Max ate its magneto and I haven't fixed it yet. If the "new" one is good enough, I may never fix it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts