Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My owner's manual says that in 5th gear I should be going 31 mph. Now, considering that most people cruise their bikes at about 4-5 grand, that's a bit crazy. I would like to know if it's just my bike that says that, or if all bikes recomend crazy shift points. Also, any insight into WHY it says that would be nice. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking my bike was under my name. It's a Honda 919.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
ok, first off, what kind of bike is it?? that might help..

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
um, what kind of bike? I would imagine on a scooter that would be possibly be correct, but on say a gix6, that would be asinine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
silent_R1 said:
um, what kind of bike? I would imagine on a scooter that would be possibly be correct, but on say a gix6, that would be asinine.
It's a Honda 919. Sorry about that.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
My cars owners manual says something similar...but thats what speeds recommended you should SHIFT into 5th at....

Thats also in the "how to drive a manual" section.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordie said:
My cars owners manual says something similar...but thats what speeds recommended you should SHIFT into 5th at....
Thats also in the "how to drive a manual" section.
Yea, I know. What is your point? I realize that's the lower threshhold, what else could it be?

·
986 Posts
After reading my manual.

For smooth riding, each gear position should cover the proper rate of speed shown in table.. then the next page shows the MPH you should shift at. so...

my point its just a reference...

·
Registered
954 Posts
That's probably meaning, you shouldn't shift to 5th going any slower than that.

·
986 Posts
or the stalling point.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Owners manuals are written by lawyers.

If you shift into 5th at 31mph,there's no way you can redline the motor and blow it up before warinty runs out.

If you do redline and blow it up...........lawyer says didn't you read the manual,there's no way you could do that if you did it the way the manual says.

·
Registered
260 Posts
alaska cajun said:

If you shift into 5th at 31mph,there's no way you can redline the motor and blow it up before warinty runs out.

If you do redline and blow it up...........lawyer says didn't you read the manual,there's no way you could do that if you did it the way the manual says.
haha i never thought of that. Pure genious

·
Registered
79 Posts
Man, if I shifted into 5th at 31mph my RC would beat me to death. That VTwin lugs like a Harley at anything below about 4K.

Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alaska cajun said:

I was also thinking that it may be the only way they can claim whatever EPA rating they are claiming.

·
Registered
646 Posts
torok said:
I was also thinking that it may be the only way they can claim whatever EPA rating they are claiming.
I would agree with this point the most.

·
Registered
394 Posts
5th gear at 31mph???? That's insane!! For a Honda 919 a lot of people would still be in second. I would think third gear would be more realistic however.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's the same ridiculous thing in my manuel, I'm suppose to be in 6th gear before 60 mph, I don't recall that ever happened.

·
Registered
681 Posts
mcoomer said:
Man, if I shifted into 5th at 31mph my RC would beat me to death. That VTwin lugs like a Harley at anything below about 4K.

Mike
Weird... I ride my 550 in 6th at 30mph and it pulls just fine. Get your gearing sorted.....

Btw, it's mostly for break-in procedures that you shift at those points, so you don't over-rev the engine.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Don't listen to that shit just ride the bike like you want to. bikes are hard to break unless you crash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts