Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so you guys know how i got my first bike and got bitched at my, um yeah...everyone on the face of this planet? LOL So anyway.... about insurance.

My bike is salvage title and all but it's in good condition so i was wondering, should I get full coverage or just liability? After all, it's my first bike, it's been crashed before and all that.. and i'm not gonna get too much if I total it. Well, it's ideal cause liability is around $300/year. Full coverage is about $700-800/year for a clean title 1995 yzf600r, which means my value must be lower, so then my premium would be lower than that.

But anyway here's the issue. This is my logic, as well as my friend's for choosing liability over full coverage on MY bike. First off, a bike can't do more than $5000 in damage on a car and you live to tell the story. If you do more, you can always pay the difference which I assume can't be much more. Just avoid ferrarri's and Lambo Diablo's. And, for my bike's collision and comprehensive, blah blah I know that. Now here's the issue. If i were to crash on my bike and get hurt and go to a hospital.... who pays the bill? The auto insurance or my health insurance? If auto insurance is supposed to pay and I only have liability, then whatever the hospital bill comes out, comes out of my own pocket?

I really hope that's not the case. Well thanks, any help is appreciated.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Liability covers damage you do to others. Their vehicle, property, or person. It's quite conceivable for you to do several hundred thousand worth of damage to a person while on your bike and live to regret it. Think T-boning a cage right at the driver. Your liability coverage would kick in for that.

Collision and comprehensive cover damage you do to the bike and theft (I think I have those straight). Those are optional, but if you total the bike or it gets stolen, you're SOL without that coverage.

Medical covers you and your passenger in the event of injury you cause. State Farm (for example) will not write medical coverage for bikes in CA so your personal medical insurance is all you have. If you carry a passenger and they have medical bills, their only recourse is to sue you and collect under liability. Might want to think twice before carrying a passenger.

Sucks doesn't it, but that's life in the fast lane.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only way your car insurance is paying any medical bills is if you hurt someone else (passenger or other car), or if you are hit by an uninsured motorist or hit and run driver (but only if you have full coverage).

Note that if you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, and you are hit by an uninsured motorist, your health insurance still has to foot the bill.

I personally would not get full coverage on a 1995 salvage title bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Insurance companies won't do full coverage on a salvage title. If you can get it titled as Kit or Custom you can at a much more expensive rate. I went through this when looking for insurance for my 96 on a salvage. Only asked about full coverage just cause I was courious about the rate.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well bike line does full coverage i think. I just need to send in 4 pics and an appraisal and if my bike has good value (which i think it does) then they cover it. But anyway, so my HEALTH insurance would cover me if i were to get hit right? So it's safe to say, i can get liability and someone can take care of the medical bills, but not me or my family right? No need to include passenger scenarios cause Im not carrying any. I'm not skilled enough and i have a solo cowl anyway.

All im concerned about, is pretty much.. WILL i have to pay my medical bills or will my health insurance pay if i get hurt from an automobile accident? WITH liability

·
Registered
155 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
All im concerned about, is pretty much.. WILL i have to pay my medical bills or will my health insurance pay if i get hurt from an automobile accident? WITH liability
Your health insurance will probably cover you. All policies are different however, a quick call to your insurance company would answer your question with more certainty than anyone here can.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
well bike line does full coverage i think. I just need to send in 4 pics and an appraisal and if my bike has good value (which i think it does) then they cover it. But anyway, so my HEALTH insurance would cover me if i were to get hit right? So it's safe to say, i can get liability and someone can take care of the medical bills, but not me or my family right? No need to include passenger scenarios cause Im not carrying any. I'm not skilled enough and i have a solo cowl anyway.

do not go with bike line!!!
they tried to charge me 750 a year for liability, i found another insurance after i already had bikeline for 250 a year liability. I will get you the phone number if you want.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As was said, check your health insurance coverage to make sure. If you cause the accident and only have liability, then the only insurance that may cover you is your health insurance. If another driver causes the accident and has insurance, then their insurance may cover your medical bills since CA is NOT a no-fault state.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's a "no-fault" state?

And is it bad thing that my health insurance covers it? Im saying that I wish my health insurance covers my bills if i have liability so it doesn't come out of my own pockets. hopefully!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
What's a "no-fault" state?

And is it bad thing that my health insurance covers it? Im saying that I wish my health insurance covers my bills if i have liability so it doesn't come out of my own pockets. hopefully!
Colorado used to be no-fault.. meaning it didn't matter who was at fault, your insurance company had to pay you for your bills.. even if the other driver was at fault. This made insurance higher than other states.. but made claims go faster because your insurance never had to fight who was paying.. but about 3-4 years ago, Colorado stopped the no-fault coverage.. so our insurance went down a little but now causes more red tape. And possible more delays in payment by the insurance companies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts