Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this on the web before on some bike pic website, and the owner told how he did it. The bad thing is that I don't remember how. I remember he said the mesh can be found at a Home Depot or the like, but the way he installed it is gone. I don't want to pay $20 for something that's not precut, molded, etc, plus that's not the bike I have. I'm sure that I could figure it out on my own, but would like to know if anybody here has done it and had success, a tried and true method is obviously preferred by me. Anyway, here's the link to what I'm talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486133263&category=10066&sspagename=WDVW

·
Registered
23 Posts

I did that on a hayabusa recently. 30 bucks, some patience, and a bit of work and you can do it. The guy i did it for brought in the screen and a 2-part epozy he bought at a local auto store. We just cut the basic shapes and used our hands to mold it around the back of the fairing openings. Then a little epoxy to keep it there. That's basically it. Here's how it came out.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
yeah, that wire mesh is very flexible. all you have to do is get some cutters and bend it around the edges of the opening.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the great ESKIMO said:
I LIKE IT!!! is that the same stuff thats in the RAM air inductions?
similar, but not quite the same mesh as the auto store doesnt carry the exact pattern as the stock ram air screens (like say on a gsxr srad) It's looks very close tho.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think that silicon caulking would hold it in place? I realize epoxy would be more secure, but should I ever want to take it off, caulking would be much easier to remove.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
hondaboy44709 said:
damn my home depot dont carry that. ia here i cum.
I'd find that very hard to believe. You sure you walked up to a sales person and asked them where their gutter guard was? It's not exactly a rare item. No need to come to Iowa, you can order online.

http://homedepot.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did mine with concrete wire mesh from home depot. I just cut it to shape and bent around the opening, and put some spots of epoxy to hold. It took me a lot longer because I made sure all the diamonds faced the same way. Just a tip: Make sure the mesh doesn't touch your exhaust. The mesh will discolor and start to break down from the heat. I had to redo the mesh my cousin did on the bike before I had it. I just took a flat head to pop of the old epoxy and just bent the mesh out farther away from the pipe. You can see in the third pic. It was a cheap mod about $12, I love how it looks. :dblthumb

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts